Catfishing - Looking for Spots ( Milton,FL)

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by Dungeon Bob, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Dungeon Bob

Dungeon Bob New Member

State:
    Florida
    New to North Florida. Have been doing a little fishing on the Black Water River near Hwy 90 only caught some small channel cats. I would like to know where there are other good spots in this area. The local bait shops doesn't seem to no anything about catfishing area here. I like to find spots where I can be alone when fishing. I string up a antenna for Amateur radio and talk voice or send morse code when waiting for a lunker to hit my liver or stink bait. I'm lucky I have a under standing Old Lady to help out with everything except can't get her to clean them fish.:)

I grew up troting line in southern Arkansas. I don't believe I will every see the size of fish we use to get out of those rivers and ponds. Those Blues, Yellows,Channels,Flatheads and Buffalos.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Try useing some cut bait as there are some fair size cats there I have fishhed there but it has been years. The biggest I got out of that river was 12lbs.

3. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    first off welcome to the boc....
    it's good to have another florida member....
    now where exactly is milton?
    that should help others give you better info....:)

4. Dungeon Bob

Dungeon Bob New Member

State:
    Florida
    Milton is 20 miles East of Penosacola, Florida on Hwy 90.

5. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    well you need to hook up with wewa sr.and mohawk thats there nick of the woods.. they are from wewahichka and very knowledgable.. wewa sr. runs the florida catfish classic that is in oct in wewa you should try to make there if you can...if you are ever down around tampa let us know and we'll hook you up on some nice channel cat spots and might just join ya....

6. Dungeon Bob

Dungeon Bob New Member

State:
    Florida
    I will look these guys up. Hoping to go out this week. I was told of a 65 foot hole in the Black Water river going to try it. I believe I will use cut shad and maybe a couple of perchs.

Dungeon Bob

7. dudly2252000

dudly2252000 New Member

how are you guys today.. would love to know where to catch some cats here in fl..tried hillsborough river...middle lake..nothing yet..i live maybe 25 mins from tampa....would love to be pointed in the right direction..new to fl...thank you very much

8. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    welcome,i would be more than willing to you out if i knew what area you live in. i live in brandon, i fish turkey creek and dover mostly but i also know a few other spots. what part of the hillsborough river were you fishing i know a few good spots with some nice cats.....this bass in my profile is a hillsbrough river bass...get back with me and we will get you hooked up....

9. dudly2252000

dudly2252000 New Member

hi..i live in zephyrhills about 5 mins outside of wesley chapel(new tampa), only part of the hillsborough river i have fished so far is the wilderness state park on morris bridge road, i haven't caught any cats there yet but i have seen guys catch them..one of the cats looked like a small blue cat, being that i was told that there are no blues or flats in this part of florida i was surprised!... i have easy access to i75 and i275. any info would help and when you have time maybe we could get together and do some fishing.

10. dudly2252000

dudly2252000 New Member

oh i fish lattuce lake as well with no luck..i am familiar with the brandon area sometimes i work overtime there at the badcock furniture store. thank you for replying and i look forward to the information.

11. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    dudley get on 301 and head south from z hills heading towards tampa go to a park called sargeants park it is on the right side of the you will pass the hillsborough state park to get there it is about five miles south of the state park go fish off the board walk and catch you some shiners off of bread and use them for cut bait.......
    i will give you more infowhen i got time,gotta go to work....

12. dudly2252000

dudly2252000 New Member

thank you john i will give it a try tommorrow, i said as soon as i catch some cats i'll post my pic and my catch but until then i feel embarassed to put myself it up amongst all you great fisherman lol. i am also seaching craigs list and the papers for a little jon boat so i can really chase some cats. thanks again john i'm gonna give it a go tommorrow!!..i'll let you know how it goes!.

13. BigCat85

BigCat85 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Try some dail soap, it works wonders here in florida's rivers

14. dudly2252000

dudly2252000 New Member

well i tried seargant park this morning, i tried liver crawlers and cut shiners all i managed were some nice bluegill and 4 mudfish that weighed about 6lbs each lol, its a nice park and i will definitely try there again..i walked the boardwalk all the way to the back where it opens up, nice looking river lots of cover and structure. i left there and after asking about 10 ppl directions i made it over to dover park beautiful lake there, the bite was slow i did manage 1 channel about 3lbs and another smaller one. just when we were about to leave a guy came up and started telling me where the deep holes are, i'll fish those next trip, all in all i had a great time and learned more places to fish thank you john and i look forward to finding turkey creek i heard its off of i60. thanks again for the information.

15. dudly2252000

dudly2252000 New Member

lol i'm sure gonna try it when i go back on the water sunday bigcat, thanks for the tip

16. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    dudley,i am glad you found the dover park off of galheger(spelling) road it's best about five to right after sunset,my sister in law caught a fifteen pounder one day outta there. what were you using for bait? i use shrimp or premo blood flavor stink bait(they love it) i also use chicken liver with garlic powder in it. we will have to hook up one day and i'll show a couple spots in there...
    now turkey creek (medard park)
    from your area get on 75 go south to 60 take a left and go through brandon and valrico to turkey creek road(it will be about 12 miles from the interstate,there will be a circle k and a bait on opposite corners, take right go down about one and a half miles turn in park on the left...
    well good luck and let me know how you do...

17. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    hey bigcat what part of town you live in??????

18. dudly2252000

dudly2252000 New Member

john, i used chicken livers, crawlers, and cut shiners. i caught the two cats on the crawlers. i checked the walmart here and they don't sell the premo stinkbait i haven't used shrimp since i left louisiana i am used to catching my own shrimp lol.

it's best about five to right after sunset............ could you please clarify what you meant please?

thank you,
    damon

19. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    Dudley I Was Saying That Because At Dover Park I Always Catch More Cats From Five To Right After Sunset,thats When They Turn On Real Good There....

20. dudly2252000

dudly2252000 New Member

oh ok, so sunday when i go back there i'll get there around 4 30pm, i went to lakeland and bought some premo blood flavor super sticky stink bait..i have never used dip bait before..should i use treble hooks? or the little sponge type rigs that they sell i wasn't sure so i bought both lol, i can't wait to get out there and thank you john for all of your help bro.