Catfishing last weekend

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by stumpjumper, Oct 23, 2007.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Well, my wife and I hit the TN river this past weekend and had a blast. We camped at Armstrong Ferry for only $11 which was real pretty. We were mostly scouting on Sat. and found some great holes for this fall and winter. We got three small flatheads that evening. On Sun. we loaded up on skipjacks for the winter. It was a blast, man those things are fun!

2. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Sounds like you had a good time. Been wanting to hit the tenn river.

3. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hey Marc, where exactly is Armstrong Ferry? And I definitely agree with you about those tiny tarpon, When you get into skipjacks really good it's sometimes more fun than the catfishing.

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    That's crazy, my wife and I were actually calling them mini tarpon! I didn't want to stop catching them it was so fun. Armstrong Ferry is a campground located just north of the Hiawasee confluence. From Chattanooga, it is about 30 miles north on 58. There is a really sharp bend in the river, so I though it would be a good place to start. Plus the campground is open all winter.

Do you slowly drift or anchor?

5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I much prefer anchoring, but the drought has meant very, very, little to no current. I think more people were successful with a slow drift on Chickamauga this summer. If there's enough current to anchor, then I'll anchor (lazy I guess, I'd rather sit and wait), but you've got to be right below a dam to have any current right now.

6. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    When I was growing up Dad called the skips Tennessee Tarpon. I love to hook em two and three at a time on light tackle. We caught tons of the skips this year below the NIckajack dam. We had very good success on Lake Chickamauga this year by using a slow controlled drift. We were catching fish drifting when the folks that were anchored were not.