Catfishing Lake Monticello

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by preacherfisherman, Oct 10, 2008.

1. preacherfisherman

preacherfisherman Member

State:
    SC
    Name:
    Tommy
    Hey i will be taking my kids fishing at Monticello tomorrow, if anyone wants a report or is going there tomorrow i will have my radio on channel 68. good luck to everyone fishing tommorrow.

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Hope ya have a great day. And good catches to ya and hope the kids catch a real trophy:wink:

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    They calling for 15-20mph winds tommorow so they will probably be 25-30 on Monty,be very careful,Monty gets awful bad with that much wind,been there done that,make sure you have those PFDs handy if you aint wearing em

4. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I'll second all this! What ever the forecast winds are, you can double that on Monty.

5. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Yeah, I probally wouldn't even try to fish Monty in wind like that.

6. preacherfisherman

preacherfisherman Member

State:
    SC
    Name:
    Tommy
    We went fishing today, it was real winding, we caught a few small fish. Thanks for all the feed back and comments. I knew to lake Monticello and really appreciate all the help i can get. If anyone needs any help fishing the santee Cooper lakes I will be gald to help. If any of you guys like striper fishing, I can hook you up with good reports at lake murray and clarks hill.

7. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Preacherfisherman,
    I to am a preacher (assistant preacher and youth minister at Peace Freewill Baptist in Spartanburg) who loves to fish. Monty is my favored lake now. I've been catfishing for about a year and a half am still learning the tricks of the trade. PM me and we will talk some about the lake.

I was on the lake in all of that wind Saturday. I was the soaking wet old bald-headed man (big wave over the bow caught me by suprise) in the old converted blue bass boat. I talked to a couple of boats, maybe even you. I was drifting with herring and shad in deep water, 60 - 100 feet. I caught a few, but even with all 3 socks out I was drifting to fast. What few I caught and released were on shad, no takers on herring. I fowl hooked a 5 pound blue just under the dorsal fin, would have sworn it was a 15+ pound fish till I got him up.

Preacher, fishing Monty seems to be ever changing. I have had to change techniques and areas many times, and I'm sure that many more changes will come. I am changing my tactics from catching coolers full of eaters to catching a few larger fish. I too like to practice CPR, keep only a few eaters for me and friends. My personal best so far on Monty is a 43 pound blue. I'm still trying and learning.

God Bless all,
    Steve