Catfishing Lake Marion in Feb.

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Foxhound, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Any tips on fishing Lake Marion during Feb. for catfish ? Ive fished it during the hot summer months but would like to go in early Feb. and would appreciate any inside info ! Thanks......

2. Knockingbottom

Knockingbottom New Member

State:
    Manning, SC
    Foxhound, Normally I would tell you to start out from the dam in the flooded
    timber looking for bait pods with fish suspended below them. However, lately
    the water has been warmer than normal and the bait is kind of scattered. If
    the bait is scattered you know the fish are too. I've been trying to fish the down wind side in the mudlines, looking for water that is a few degrees warmer than the rest. Some days its worked, others it hasn't. I've caught fish
    from 33ft up to 5ft. I can't find a reliable source of shad. The bait is so scattered the guides and guys who catch bait for the tackle shops are haveing a hard time catching any. I've been resorting to large shiners. We've had a few colder nights and are supposed to have some more shortly. If the water cools a little more the bait will move to the deeper water adjacent to the dam. That's all I know. Good luck, and if you see a 18ft jon with a white
    trolling motor on the front, that's probably me. Stop and speak.

3. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks.......info very much appreciated !!!:)