Catfishing Lafayette/Opelousas area.

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by nightrider, Aug 4, 2006.

1. nightrider

nightrider New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'm new to the BOC and live in the lower central part of the state. Plenty of fishing holes down here. If you would like to post any information on here about your favorite spot in this area feel free to do on this thread.

2. Louisiana Redneck

Louisiana Redneck New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good afternoon,

have you tried fishing in Henderson lakes. Have you had any luck? If so, what did you catch and what was you bait?

3. nightrider

nightrider New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have not fished Henderson in years.Went fishing in the Atchafalaya river just north of Henderson for catfish a few weeks ago. Caught a few on nightcrawlers. Went two weeks ago to Millers Lake in Ville Platte for bream, kept 35 nice ones (worms and crickets). The skies were overcast and looked like it wanted to rain the entire time. The bigger bream we caught came from inside the lilly pads. Look for holes inside a grouping of pads and put your line in it. Water was 3'-4' deep. Going to bring a buddy to Doubisson Lake in the morning for catfish.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There used to be a gal from Carencro that would chime in once in awhile. She fished those spots you mentioned. Her brother still lives in Lafayette. He's a welder named Casey that works for an outfit that builds swamp buggy's.

I've been to two gatherings down there at Chico State Park. Look for another one in Feb, about Mardi Gra time. The last one was cancelled cause the were using the park as a Katrina refugee camp:crazy:

5. nightrider

nightrider New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    The family and I rode out there Sunday. The lake was perfect, wish I had brought my pole. The park itself is undergoing some nice renovations. Saturday, I went with a buddy from work to a pond that his grandparents own. We had a blast catching 20 catfish and losing about that many. We could not figure out why we had lost so many, But we had fun. Thinking of going to Dubuisson Lake off I-49 tonight. Hoping to get a few on chicken livers.

6. mullyden

mullyden Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Great hearing from you Bobpaul. We haven't fished much in Baton Rouge lately. The river is very low and I haven't heard of anything being caught. The person you refer to is April and I believe her name is lafishingal or something like that. Scout would also be a good source since he fishes in the New Iberia/Intecoastal City areas.

7. Taslagi

Taslagi New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    hay Joseph I am familure with your area and get down that way to fish with some buddies quite often. We may be able to get together for some fishing some time soon.

8. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    heres a sure bet on a few fishing spots #1 Herderson #2 Lake Martin #3 Telodo Bend #4 Kaplan bridge #5 lacasine reserve (in jennings if you dont fishing with gator go for ive seen some of the biggest bass and cat come from the. ) P.S dont go to the achfalaya sewage from lafayette runs off in to in it.

9. WildWillie

WildWillie Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    How does sewer from Lafayette get into the Atchafalaya River? Is it being pumped there? Just curious. When I look at the map, looks like natural flow would be to the ICW or Gulf. I know that some cities have been known to release raw sewer in rivers. I worked for the La Dept Hwys in the late 60's. We're had to core the Red River bed at the Shreveport/Barksdale bridge, and I can assure you, we saw raw sewer floating down the river. No way I would have fished in it then. If I knew for a fact now that raw sewer was being dumped in a river, I would definately file a complaint with the appropiate state and federal agencies. Been years since I fished Lake Henderson. Caught some good crappie there when I was a youngster. Good place to fish, but man, it would be easy to get lost on that place.

Will

10. nightrider

nightrider New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Let me get your contact info and we will see. I'm always up for a trip. I'm working on my brother-in-law right now, trying to get him out to the river this weekend. I see that the water is still low in the atchafalya and I'm hoping the fish are still biting in this heat. Either way we will have a good time.

11. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    My dad was cop for lafayette in the 90s. and never brought me fishing there because he said it was full of sewage.even my grandfather said it used be clear and rain. Or just try goin of the bridge and you will smell it.

12. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I fish the Vermillion River in Lafayette regularly, a little downriver from the Ambassadeur Caffery Bridge, and yes, the waste plant does flow into the river right there. I haven't ever seen raw sewage, but it smells like a weird chemical sometimes. It's great catfishing, but I've been catching so many darn blue crabs lately and it's aggravating. They kill all my live bait. :sad2:

At least I don't swim/wakeboard in the river like some people do.....gross.

13. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Are there flatheads in or around Lafayette anywheres? The Vermillion hopefully? I have had a fish take my 6" mullet within seconds and as soon as I started fighting the fish it took off and popped the 17lbs. test like it was nothing. I know it wasn't a gar, and I'm almost 100% sure it was a catfish.

14. Rogue

Rogue New Member

State:
    US Louisiana
    There is alot of Louisiana boys at **********.com

15. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Am I the only person that fishes the Vermillion River???

16. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Stu, I work in Lafayette and live in Abbeville. You are probably one of the very few that fish the Vermilion River. The river has a very bad rep for being very poluted. It is even recommended not to swim in it. I hope you are not eating anything that you catch.

17. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Thanks, finally a reply! Hahaha no, I don't eat ANYTHING that I catch out of there, nor do I swim in it. I also won't usually fish there if I have an open cut either because it really is quite polluted, but not nearly as bad as it used to be. And when a lot of people ride by on boats just about 9/10 times one of them asks, "Are you eating these fish?" Most of the time I'll say "yeah, they're great eatin!" just to see their reaction, haha.:lol: