Catfishing Jon Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Brandon829, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm thinking about getting a Jon Boat, and I'm wanting to see some pics of Jon Boats set-ups for catfishing. Also any tips that you think I might need. Many Thanks in advanced.

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    great choice! jon boats are my favorite way to fish..unless skiers are around...

3. Just_a_feller

Just_a_feller New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jon Boats are best, for rivers . easy to manuver for bush hooks and trot lines. Stick steering and front controls are handy but not neccesary. I run a 14 ft jon with a 5 hp motor. Easy for one man to handle. In the big lakes I run a 24ft pontoon with a 200 Suzuki on it.

4. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the responses guys! My next question is how do you keep the lines from getting tangled when fishing multiple poles?

5. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    are you planning on anchoring out or drifting?

6. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sorry not meaning to sound dumb, but I'm extremely new to fishing from a boat. Anchoring is just like it sounds, Anchoring and fishing in the same spot as to drifting is to set your lines out and floating down river? Probably Anchoring

7. Just_a_feller

Just_a_feller New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Lines???? We use dinamite!!!! Tie dinamite to brick, throw one at the time. They don't get tangled.. The Game warden will help if you light one and hand it to him...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  8. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    if you want to keep them from tangling just fan cast which is just giving space between each line when its casted out. also take into account the current. if you cast close to another line the current may actually bull your line across it and get it tangled

9. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Awesome, Thanks for the tip! As far as dynamite goes, nah, lol.

10. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I lke to fish two long lines one out the front and back ends of the boat and keep the middle rods somewhat shorter..

On a good drift, 2.5-3.5 mph something about 60 ft for the longs and 40 ft for the short guys. Thats with the Boat drifting sideways with the wind or on the trolling motor pulling.

When fishing a set, a bit shorter . Much less confusion , particularly on those slow "pick up the bait and carry it fellas."

good luck and get after them.

rg

11. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    2.5-3.5 mph...
    that is a really fast drift aint it? i usually cant catch anything about 1 mph i prefer around 1/2-3/4 mph

12. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I fish from a 15' Jon. I absolutely LOVE it for cattin'. It does OK for other types, but cats it awesome. I bought mine used from an older gentleman who just didnt have the time for it. It was in good mechanical shape, but was really beat up. I rewired it, and put new lighting, fishfinder, 12v outlets, a livewell, and toggle switches for each in it. I then repainted the boat inside (was going to do outside, but it was fishing season, not painting season :wink:). I have a swivel seat on the front and rear benched, a cooler that sits "inside" the middle bench (which I made into a livewell) and 4 rod holders down each side. Like I said, I LOVE the thing, and probably wouldn't trade it for any other boat (except maybe a bigger aluminum boat with a jet). I moved to Annapolis and currently the boat is sitting in my parents garage in Pittsburgh, otherwise I would post some pictures of it for you. All in all, I have about 1400 into it, and personally I think it was the best 1400 I have ever spent. You wont regret a Jon.

About crossing lines. Once you are anchored in a spot, it is just like bank fishing. Just don't cast your line "on top" of eachother and you will be fine. One (of the MANY) advantages to fishing from a boat, is you can cover a whole lot more area from one location. I have had 8 rods out of my jon with no problems whatsoever.

Whatever your choice, you will not be dissapointed!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  13. pjones

pjones New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Here is our little cat fishing boat:
    Tracker Grizzly 1448-SC
    25hp 4 stroke
    We drift 90% of the time and fish up to 8 rods, very happy with this setup has worked great
    phpGDf32xPM.jpg

14. TDW

TDW Well-Known Member

State:
    Quincy,IL
    nice boat Paul.

15. smellykat

smellykat New Member

State:
    Springfield, Il
    the pics look great.see im buying myself a jon boat too

16. smellykat

smellykat New Member

State:
    Springfield, Il
    ..here is my boat.i have some work to do before spring gets here

Attached Files:

17. buckie02

buckie02 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There is a site called Tinboats. It is all about jon boats. I have a 1436, it is a little narrow, but I fish by myself a lot and it was priced right.

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If yer new to boating & all it would help you alot if ya knew someone that wasnt and take the time to get out with them-aks all the questions ya can think of weather they sound dumb to you or not cause they aint dumb if there gonna save your life someday..or help you not be a fixen yer broken boat etc...ya gotta respect yer waters or they will get ya ...there are some serious hardcore fishers round here that have some bueatiful vessels set up for straight war -ya go thru the journal and ya will find a million good tricks-tips and mods....I am now on a third boat in 10 years and still want a nutter one (LOL)Most what I have learned is from this site and old river ratts that I have hitched rides with since I was a kid ya never stop learning thats for sure .....the average boat around here where I live is a 16ft with a 25horse....I run a 15 ft with a 15 horse can use it anywhere and it does well with two but fishen more it becomes a circus act...we've fished 4 out of it with two poles a piece...it was a good time(LOL)
    good luck and dont settle fer less than what ya want unless ya gotta cause there all fun!