Catfishing information on Santee Cooper needed

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Jroc777, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Hello all. I am trying to get a fishing trip together with about 10-15 people from work. We will be going to Santee Cooper the first week of May. Does anyone have any information on good places to stay, where to fish, types of bait to use, etc... Any info will be greatly appreciated. Also if you know of any good guides. We would like to have a guide take us out on the first day so that we can see how and where to catch the big cats there.

2. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    Joe give blacks camp a call they can take care of all your needs good luck

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Joe, Black's is a great place with great service and easy to get to. Or if you like, you can also go to www.santeecooper.com and they have a list of guides, places to stay, eat, shop, marinas, etc. with maps.

4. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I prefer Canal Lakes and absolutely the best bait for me (when I can find it!) is White Perch for flatheads!!! But, everyone is different...

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jroc,
    Blacks and Canal Lakes are both good places to stay. They are located on the diversion canal which puts you right between the top and bottom lakes. If you are taking enough boats for everyone in your party my advice would be to split the group into 2 parties and hire 2 guides for 2 days. First day, one party drift fishes the bottom lake and the other fishes the submerged trees on the old creek channel in the top lake for flatheads. Next day vice versa. That way you will all get to see where and how to spend your remaining time. Guides are not cheap but on a water that big it is money well spent and splitting the cost between 6-7 guys per boat per day would make it reasonable. As mentioned above, white perch make excellent bait for flatheads and there are plenty of places to get shad or blueback herring for drift bait. If they are pulling water out of the bottom lake it creates current in the diversion canal and then it can be fished just like you would a river (it's about 6 miles long). There is some good structure and it's a good place to night fish if they are biting. Another place to try if there is some flow in the canal is in the bottom lake where the canal comes in. The guides will obviously take you to where the fish are biting at the time you are there, as there are other places such as mussel beds and flats. If some of your guys are fishing from shore there are , I believe, some good spots on the diversion canal and the REdiversion canal (on the lower lake) but I don't have first hand experience of these. There can be good fishing almost anywhere, I have caught good blues and flats from the boat docks in the camps on live 'gills in the evening. Hope this is helpful...W

6. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    We ended up deciding to stay at Navy Shortstay. My boss is retired military so we got a decent discount. Basically there are three of us that are serious fishermen and the rest of the guys going aren't very experienced at it. The three of us that know what were doing are going to get a guide the first day so that we can figure out bait, location, and how they are fishing for them on the body of water. I am all for getting a guide in the beginning so that you don't waste the rest of your trip looking in the wrong spots. We will be down from May 7 till May 13th. Thanks all of you for your tips and suggestions. I really liked the way Blacks looked and the location but the price at Shortstay is really good. It is only going to be $72 a night for 6 person cabins. At $10 per person per night you can't beat that!

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I feel certain that you will like it at Short Stay. The idea of a guide on the first day is excellent. You should be able to learn a lot, and the ones I've dealt with don't seem to mind sharing information.
    If you need information on some of the guides, Jim has a lot more experience with them than I do. He has used a number of them before.
    May is one of the best months to fish the lakes. Pretty much everything is biting good then.

8. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    How are you supposed to fish for cats in May?? I have been in May for several years and have never had good luck. Personally, August is my fav month for big cats. Where do I need to go in May and how do I need to fish for the cats? Also, where is Short Stay located?

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    A good place to fish is the diversion canal, either anchored or drifting.
    The cats have finished spawning, and can be found in deeper water along the channels of the lake during daylight and in the shallows at night. A lot of smaller fish can be caught drifting the shallow flats during the daytime, too.
    In addition to catfish, the bream and shellcrackers are really turning on during the month, especially around the full and new moons.