Catfishing in TN

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by foodsaver, Jan 16, 2006.

1. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am a recent transplant to Tennessee and am very interested in learning to catch some of these monsters that roam the waters in this state. I am originally from Chester VA on the James River where I fished from a boat for Catfish and at Lake Gaston and Buggs Island for stripers. When I was in Virginia I had use of my dads boat and we usually went fishing together. Now being a shorebound angler I am curious as to how and where you fish for these Catfish from shore. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. Also how do you catch shad and herring from shore since I cant look for bait on the depthfinder and throw the cast net to get them any longer.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Foodsaver, welcome to TN. Where in TN are you located? That would help us know which waters you are fishing.
    Skips can be caught from shore below dams and at warm water dicharges of power plants. Shad can also be caught with a cast net in these same areas.

3. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am in Chattanooga and have been to watts bar once on shore and once with a guide. The water wasn't running when I was fishing from shore so there was nothing going on. I would like to find a place close to home to go fishing though.

4. memphis-cat

memphis-cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    These catfish get very moody.....and sometimes they don't know what they're missing......you would think bratworths filled with cheese and soaked in garlic overnight would make them bite, but sometimes....they just don't know what they want.....

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Foodsaver, you live in a great place to catch big fish. Jim Marshall(Fish) can tell you where to get them. Or any number of other members that live near you. Nickajack is supposed to be a great place. I've fish Chickamauga and have seen some big cats come out of there from near the Nuke Plant. Might wanna make sure they don't have a greenish glow to them though before you eat them. LOL But seriously someone will help you out here soon. Welcom to the BOC!! And to Tennessee.

6. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    I live right down the road in Cleveland. The best bank spot close to you would be below Chickamauga Dam. Once spring and summer get here you can catch all the shad and skipjack you want there. Cut them up or fish them live right in the boils from the sidewalk or pier. If you need anymore info feel free to pm me.

7. tnmoparman

tnmoparman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Foodsaver
    Welcome to Tennessee if you are ever up in east tennessee check out Cherokee Lake real good place to land some quality cats.

8. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    drc had the best advice... if you are restricted to fishing from shore, the walkway immediately at the face of the dam (East side) is your best bet... basically fishing at the mouth of the turbine holes. When fishing gets get, you'll just have to elbow your way into the crowd. If you can catch a period when they are NOT generating, you can catch some real good cats downstream, but with generators running, it's tough catfishing from shore.

9. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    rsimms, your in sooo much trouble! I caught you cheat'in on cff, just wait till I tell dhaun! LMAO!!!! Man it's a small world huh? Good to have you over here, talk at you later.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    At Nickajack, when they're running the generator closest to shore, you can sometimes catch skipjack by casting into the current with a couple of crappie jigs rigged in tandem, or a sabiki rig.

11. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Uh oh... I'm busted. :crying:

12. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Richard, it is great to have you here with us. We hope you enjoy the BOC. We have read several of your sports articles online here in Chattanooga. :)

13. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Richard,
    Welcome to the BOC and welcome to the great state of Tennessee! Nice fish you got there also.

14. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Any of you get out this weekend?

15. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    We fished yesterday out of Memphis but was a tough, cold day for us anyway. Finally caught 3 with biggest one only about 5#. Still beat a day working or sitting at home.