Catfishing In The Winter

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by slowjamcdub, Oct 29, 2008.

1. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :tounge_out: Hey to all my catfishing brothers! I just want to talk about Catfishing In The Winter, I have heard that the cats dont bite as much in the winter that their motabos slow down and not much going on, is this true??? And does the winter slow down fish in small ponds???

Thanks! :roll_eyes:

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Chris,

Frist of all :0a25: to the B.O.C. Bro. :cool2:

Now to the post (LoL): :0a23:

I heard the same thing Buddy, about the bite slowing down in the winter because of their motabos - But - "It don't stop"!

Just think about it for a second :0a14:
    We don't stop eating because it's to cold, "we just don't like to move around to much to get a meal - but we still eat".
    or
    Just like it cold outside in the winter, we like to stay indoors wear it's nice and warm.
    (LoL)

So get out there when you can - and get one of those cats when there going to get something to snack on.
    (LoL)
    :wink:

Take it easy,
    Bert :cool2:(Shania:0010:)

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Flathead fishing is gonna be slow.

But in many major river systems, the best time to fish for blues is winter. They do group up some, but aside from that, you can just tear 'em up in the winter. Talking multiple-citation days.

Not sure the effect of cold in small ponds though. My favorite channel cat pond bite shuts down after October.

4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    welcome to the boc i agree things usually slow up but never stop

5. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Hey, Chris great question Brother. Not an expert by no means. But catfish like all fishes are cold blooded and cold water does have and affect on them. Smaller bodies of water like ponds and small lakes tend to affect those fish differently than those in big Rivers and Resivoirs. These fish will feed throught the winter months and some of the larger bodies have really good winter fishing. try your luck on one of those warm weeks in january and seee if you cant get a few. You might be suprised at what you can catch. Good luk and keep fishing

6. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i think some one told a fib catting much better in the winter to me

7. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    i've had great times in the winter but it in the ohio river for lakes never had much luck in them. but it the best for big blues and small blues.but you have to find them.not just throw a line out must fish deep for them but last year i heard some where caugth in 3 to 10 foot of water..... hope this helps

8. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    for big blues here in va, winter time wins hands down for me!!

i catch alot of cats all year, mostly smaller 20lbs and under, but for biguns 30lbs and up, it's winter time!!

nov. thru march for me.

vaughn

9. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i think it gets better for big blues but slows for flats and channels:roll_eyes:

10. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Your right larry Blues are definitly more active throughout the cold weather months than other species of cats. Bullheads are active in cold months also

11. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Welcome to the BOC and reps to ya for asking a great question!:wink: