Catfishing in the Winter

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by larkin, Dec 29, 2005.

1. larkin

larkin New Member

State:
    Almo Ky
    Hey everyone, It has been a while since I have been on this board, since August I think... Anyway I was thinking of trying catfishing here within the next week or two here in Kentucky. But I have never done any winter catfishing. What baits should I use, and what areas should I target....I fish anywhere here in West Kentucky, if anyone around here knows of any good spots, let me know.

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome back Larkin, get in touch with Griz I am sure he could give you some good spots to fish around you. Keep in touch.

3. larkin

larkin New Member

State:
    Almo Ky
    Ok, I will try to do that. I haven't been fishing in a while. Thought I might otta go and try to catch me some.

4. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    For flats use cut and/or live shad, skip jack, or bluegill

For channels use chicken livers, cut bluegill, stink baits

For blues use Live and/or cut shad and bluegill.

Wherever you go focus on deep water, just for the winter.

5. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    What depth would you guys suggest for the deep winter? Is there a max. depth for cats beyond which the pressure is too great?

6. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ive heard of cats coming from as deep as 80 ft down in some areas. on the verdigris for example, they will find the deepest holes available (usually about 25 to 40 ft deep) and hang at the depth that the temp is most comfortable. actually i take that back, its the depth thats most comfortable to the baitfish and the cats follow. usually thatll be about 20 ft down in a 35 foot hole. depends on how cold it gets. on our coldest winters thatll push them all the way to the bottom. now flatheads im not sure on but blues and channels feed hard on all the fish gathered in schools. i hate to say it being a bank fishermen, but a boat and a sonar are the perfect weapon for the task at hand. otherwise its cast and hope the school moves by your bait. if your can find an isolated hole thats not to long it shouldnt be that long of a wait. also keep in mind that the bite in winter will be a more subtle pick up and swim off thing instead of a pole breaking jerk. most of the time i get several small pecks and then a pause and then the pole slowly goes over. just let them play for a second before setting the hook. and last but not least play the fish out before yanking him all the way out of his hole, otherwise youll inflate its air bladder (i cant remember if thats what its called right now) and it wont be able to swim back down. thats if you plan on releasing it, otherwise itll float on the surface defenseless against the gulls. good luck guys.