Catfishing in the Snow!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by hanson, Mar 20, 2006.

1. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Its March 20th and we're starting to get some channel cat action up here in the north country. Most of Minnesota is still ice fishing but we hit the river with the long rods yesterday with some pretty good results.

Cut mooneye was definitely preferred over other baits.

Water temp is still hovering around freezing as there were parts of the river with skim ice on the surface.

Here's a couple photos of our first open water channel cats of the year.

The 2nd photo is 31" long & 11 pounds. Thats a pretty nice channel cat anywhere in Minnesota. Another month or so and the flatheads should start getting active.

BTW- That "white stuff" on the ground is about 12 inches of snow.

Attached Files:

2. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    They look nice good catch I got my first one last week a 5 pound channel
    out of a clean lake , and it was good.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Way to go. REP points for that! It has been a goal of mine to get a nice "Snow Channel". I hope to get that chance this week with all of the snow comming in.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That's a really nice Channel Cat, good job.:)

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Those are some nice channels. Thanks for the pics.

6. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    deffinitly would not be upset about those at all! nice cats man.

7. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    That is some nice Channels congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The color of those fish are beautiful.

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    That's A Good Looking Fish, Nice Catch.

9. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Catfishing in snow .......freezing water HELL NO me im from Louisiana we barley have a winter .Man I got the up most respect for you freezing water I aint even gonna ask about taking a wiz........ geez nice cats though I wonder if I get me one of those big carhartt suits naaw HELL NO

10. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Nice fish Hanson,
    Looks like I'm on deck to get the boat out tomorrow. going to give Below the Ford Dam a shot.
    The rest of the week should continue to improve the conditions.
    thanks
    Larry

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Nice cats brother! Sometimes even if the conditions aren't favorable for the fisherman, the fish still like it. I myself am not a big fan of the cold, but those pics are really making me want to get out this weekend.

12. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    nice cats. we didnt have snow, but it was cold enough to snow sunday and ducain and i went out and got skunked. good job, and many more this year.

13. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Thanks for the kind words guys.

Truth is, we're just getting started. Got many, many months of cattin' to go.

An 11lb channel cat is a nice channel but after fishing the Red River of the North, its really just a baby. We consistently catch 15-20 pounders and up on the Red.

I thought while I was talking about snow, I'd include this picture as well.

This photo is on Upper Red Lake in northern Minnesota. Its the crappie capital of the midwest no doubt. Anyway, my truck is sitting in about 18 inches of snow on top of 36" of ice over 14' of water. How's that strike ya?

Attached Files:

14. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Hear's a day on the river a few week's ago. Today it was 8* First day of spring. I forgot to mention 0 fish that day.

15. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Great fish and nice picture guys, but i've got to draw the line somewhere and "snow catfishing" is it. Hat's off boys!!!

16. terrycook3

terrycook3 New Member

State:
    minnsota
    good job-im a fellow snow catter from duluth mn-i like fishing the back of power plants this time of year-they really stack up!-gl to you this year!

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Those are nice fish anywhere in the country, and I bet they seemed even nicer in that cold snowy weather!!

I got to fish in the snow for about 30 minutes in February. I was on my boat anchored up and a quick snow shower past through. It was pretty neat. Of course in NC that means two days later it is 60 degrees!