Catfishing in the Rain

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by pendog66, Jan 29, 2006.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    I have a question for you guys, i was always taught while bass fishing the bite always picks up when it rains. And i was wondering if anyone else fishes for cats in the rain. I have had success with Flatheads and Channels before storms but never stuck around to fish in the rain.

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have had some of my best catfishing either right before...right after...or during a period of rain. Especially so if the area I'm fishing has current. A runoff that pours into a lake, strip pit, or pond that normally has no current is a hotspot that shouldn't be ignored. No matter how small or insignificant it may seem.

Where I draw the line is lightning. No fish is worth getting zapped.

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas

Yep, me too. Seems

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas

Yep, me too. Seems to turn'em on, don't it !

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Same here, they seem to love those kinds of conditions. But like he said, I draw the line at thunderstorms/lightning, it's really not worth getting struck.

Zakk.:)

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had good fishing before during and right after a rain

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have caught big fish before the front arrives, But never while its raining. I have endured quite a few thunder storms with hard heavy rains, thunder, and lightning hitting the hills all around the river. Very unnerving all by yourself. I did it to find out for myself if it made for better fishing. But then again I have to pick locations Out of the main flow so I don't get hit by floating trees and disloged logs. So it might just be bad spots.
    The last few years I just did'nt bother Tired of being wet the whole night and bailing water out of the boat every 30 minutes. LOL

8. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    I Would Have To Say After A Storm Is A Really Great Time To Fish. As The Run-off Is Entering The Water, It Is Like Ringing The Dinner Bell. Some Smaller Insects Have Been Washed Into The Edge Of The Water And The Bait Fish Are In A Feeding Frenzy. Crawdads And Other Terrestrial Prey Are Also Returning To The Shallow Edges Of The Water. The Larger Predators Take Advantage Of This And Get Their Easiest Meal Of The Day.

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Me too. In hot summer time I love a quick storm to blow in. If lightening doesn't get too bad, I'll stand in rain an fish. Catch em before during and after.

10. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    it looks like im going to bearing the rains this spring and summer, my goal is to get a river flat over 20 pounds this year, thanks for the comments guys

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Good luck, I hope you get that big one.:)

12. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I've been fishing at time when I would start raining some of the other guys would pack up and leave. Seems like right after the rain the Cats would strat hitting hard, plus the big boys would come out.

13. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Well around here it seems to have alot to do with the pressure. If the barometer is rising or falling steady for around 12 - 15 hours we can catch em in a torrential downpour. But if the pressure rises or falls almost instantly the you can give it up for a day or 2.

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My only trips last year that involved rain also involved lightning!!! When I see that coming I am off the water.

I do remember one trip where it was supposed to rain, and it is drizzled a bit, but no steady rain. I caught some nice fish. Overall a good day.

15. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i remember one day i was at the stillwater bass fishing late fall when a storm rolled in, i caught 3 smallmouth real quick then i was dodging flying tree branches, leaves and trash, and i later found out that there was a tornado and severe thunderstorm warning. I didnt use to be gun shy when it came to fishing storms, until about a couple of years ago i got a shock from a lightining strike on a tree about 5 feet infront of me, couldnt hear for about an hour

16. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I too have ridden out a thunderstorm. In 1999. It's the only time I ever haven't went to the truck when the lightning started hitting the ground. I was bank fishing alone one evening at a runoff inlet that pours into a large strip pit we have here.

The fish started biting 15 minutes before the sky just fell. I had a rainsuit and rubber boots on...but it was WET. The water started flowing harder in that run off than I ever have seen it flow there during the storm that unfolded that night.

Unnerving?...YES!!!

Instinct told me to take shelter...but the channel were biting so fast that I had to abandon using two rods. I couldn't keep up with two. As soon as the chunk of weightless chicken liver hit the bottom...BAM!! A channel from 3 lb to 12 lb would nab it. How do you walk away from that??

I released 20 or better nice channel...and I kept 10 channel for the freezer...on my rope stringer that I struggled to carry along with all my gear back to the truck...100 yards away....down a dark, brushy, muddy trail that gets rather narrow where theres a three foot wide ridge that goes between two other smaller pits...in the rain...with no flashlite. You have to work to get to this place...Lol. (But it's a good spot)

That was probably one of the better experiences I have had fishing during a storm. But it's certainly not the only time I have done well in the rain.

17. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    After and during the rain is a great time to fish. If the water is cold, and the rain is warm, it really gets the fish moving.

18. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Funny story: me and my buddy had just scouted a new area and were really excited about fishing it. One weekend we finally decided to head out as the water was warming up for spring. After about a 1/2 mile of walking we noticed some clouds starting to form in the distance. They looked a little ominous so he called his girl to check the radar and we had a little noah radio with us. We decided to proceed to the location and fish as his girlfriend gave us the okay on the radar. We went through the woods about another 1/4 mile and came to a clearing. To my dismay the entire sky was turning a dark grey/black color and wind was beginning to pick up. We were almost a mile into the woods at that point and could not turn back. Thunder began to clap and the sky was lighting up.. needless to say I was a little scared at that point. We hid under some trees( I know! Brilliant) as it began to rain. Lets just say that it was a decent storm and would wish no one to be out in a situation like that! Eventually the rain and lightning subsided(2hours later) and we caught our first fish of the year on that night. It was a lesson learned in that his girlfriend is a bobo....

19. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Lol...that's a good one. One time a buddy of mine and myself were fishing at a remote section of the Neosho river. There was a chance of rain...and although the skies were dark...it hadn't rained yet. We were catching a few blues and channel here and there...when suddenly the fish just stopped biting. A few minutes later the wind picked up and was gusting up to 35 mph or so. We were sitting there watching the clouds blow in...when we heard a high pitched shrill sounding noise. We looked at each other in confusion...the looks on our faces posing the obvious question..."What the Hell is That??" We sat there for a minute or so...and then it hit me. That "noise" was the tornado warning whistle of the small town 3 miles upstream! We grabbed our gear, and loaded up. Driving down the trail leading out of the riverbottom...we heard on the radio that there was a tornado down...4 miles away from us. What else could we do? Didn't see a tornado...so we kept driving and turned east on the highway....and floored it...away from where they said it had been spotted. Luckily we didn't get caught by the tornado down at the river...it did cross the river upstream a mile or so from our position shortly after we bailed out.

20. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    phewww, close call there. It's amazing how nature can humble the mightiest of men.