Catfishing in the Phoenix Metro Area.

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by willdavidix, May 2, 2007.

1. willdavidix

willdavidix New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hello,

I am new to the BOC but luve to catfish. I'm not able to go out to the lakes and rivers as much as I would like. But I have found the Phoenix area canals to be a Catfish haven. Every time I go out I catch a stringer full of 1 to 2 lbs channel cat, with an occasional 5+ pounder. Counts are about 10 to 25 in about 2 hours. I also have caught 1 27lb Flatty from the canal. Anybody else have any experience fishing the canals in Phoenix?

2. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    First of all welcome to the BOC.
    I used to fish the canals years ago. Now most areas are restricted but I used to fish the canal on Hayden road just south of Indian Bend. It was a really productive spot but I havent been there in a long..long time.
    Once again welcome to the BOC!!

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I used to fish the canal behind my house a few years back. Used to hook into rather big channels, largest probably around 10 lbs, but I could never pull them up the side. Now, I go hit up the canal for large carp for cutbait for other fishing trips. Haven't caught a cat in there for a few years. Convenient fishing, thats for sure.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Dave, were glad your here!

5. Dirkdigler33

Dirkdigler33 New Member

State:
    arizona
    I never knew the canals were such good fishing.What do you use for bait (for carp and Catfish).Also doesn't the current bring it back to the side of the bank?

6. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Sometimes when I'm walking home around noon, I take a side trip along the canal and all the fish are totally visible because of the high sun. Just today, I saw at least 40 grass carp, 15 common carp, one HUGE goldfish, 7 bass (one very nice sized one), and one very nice sized channel cat digging his head into the mud feeding, all in less than a 1/4 mile. I used to fish the canal all the time, at best catching 10lb channels and loads of big carp, and I still hit up the canal when I need a big carp for cut bait. I've always thought about dropping in a live bluegill for a few nights to see if there are any roving flatheads in there, because I've heard about some catches.

7. willdavidix

willdavidix New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Which Canal do you walk down?

8. willdavidix

willdavidix New Member

State:
    Arizona
    For Catfish Just about anythink will work, I have used the dough baits, shrimp, cutbait, even left over cooked chicken. As far as the current taking your bait to the sides, thats what you want. Normally thats what happens with common fish food. It comes too rest out of the main current next to the bank. Most of my hits come at the point where my bait comes to rest on the sides.

9. az cat hunter

az cat hunter New Member

State:
    AZ
    A really good canal spot is behind papago park,where the canal ends.Drop a nightcrawler down there and hold on.We have caught bass,cats and grass carp in there.Every year the canal is drained and then re-filled.If you wait till its been full for a few months,it gets really good!!We park behind canal park and walk up the hill to the spot.Dont tell everybody in the world as this is a really good spot.I havent fished it this year,but my boys still do.Also the canal at 56st & indian school is pretty good too!!

10. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Howdy fellas,

I've got a sister and her family that live in Phoenix. Thought about coming out there for a visit sometime later this year or next.

Good to hear about the fishin'.

11. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    welcome to the BOC, I fish down off of baseline. I have caught numerous cats and carp. And I too want to flathead fish it but, sitting around all night at the canal just doesnt sound fun. Ill sitck to roosie!!