Catfishing in the Mississppi around the twin cities

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by fishinga1, Mar 8, 2006.

1. fishinga1

fishinga1 New Member

State:
    minnesota
    About what time do cats start to bite in this region. I mean bite really good.

2. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I went back through my fishing journal for the past 3 years. I consistently started catching channels about the 2nd week in May. In my opinion, it is not so much the date as the water temperature to watch for. It seems like once the water temp gets in that mid 50 degree Fahrenheit range that they turn on. I usually don't find flatheads until in June and the water temp in the mid 60 degree range. I primarily fish the St Croix River and the Mississippi River Pool 3.
    The In-Fisherman books talk about getting out there when the lilacs start to bloom, the ground gets real spongy in the spring and you start to see nightcrawlers around after a good spring rain.

I can tell you that there is a good channel cat bite as early as March on the Mississippi River in Minneapolis. I'm not going to give you much more specific information than that - you have to do some of the work on your own.:)

3. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    I concur man!

The ice will be leaving us. Short rods get put away and the long rods are coming out! Any day now! You heading up to the Rainy for the Sturgeon Excursion?

BTW- Channel Cats are biting now if you know where to look for them. Here's one of many I iced last Saturday. :)

Attached Files:

4. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey Chris - Nice channel - was that from the Cool Cats 2006? Sounded like you guys had some good fishing and a nice day. Channels through the ice must be kind of fun.

The Sturgeon Excursion sounds like fun but I'm staying closer to home. I'm hoping the Mississippi channel cat bite will start pretty quick. I'm hoping to meet you at the April Fools Get Together - are you going to be there?

5. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Steve-

Yes. Yes. and Yes.

Hmmm... Was that one too many Yes's?

Dave and the gang had a good outing on the Miss on friday for channels. I was talking with Brian on the cell while driving up to Upper Red Lake. Yep. I'm an ice fisherman deep down.

After this weekends adventures in ice fishing, I'm done for the winter and will probably be at the April Fools gathering. I'm so sick of calf deep slush on the ice, its not funny.

6. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello,

I never really new you could catch cats through the ice. I am an avide icefisherman but have never try fishing for cats through the ice, I always thought they were to lathargic and during the winter and just didn't bite. I stick with pike and walleye. Where abouts do you find them through the ice, how deep, and what works good for bait. I am currently done icefishing for the season but I could alway use the info for next season. By the way where is the April Fools gathering taking place.

Take Care My Fellow Minnesotans!

Sincerely, Kevin

7. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    MNWiskers-

There are a couple places that come to mind for winter channel cats.

Lake Zumbro north of Rochester is one of them, the Richmond (Horseshoe) Chain of Lakes near Richmond/Cold Spring is the other. The Sauk River flows through the Horseshoe Chain & the Zumbro flows through the Zumbro. There may be others but these are the 2 that folks have decent success on. Lake Byllesby near Cannon Falls I think is another option for winter cats.

April Fools Gathering is downtown Mpls at Mill Ruins Park. Its the Mississippi between the Upper & Lower St. Anthony locks. We're fishing from shore. There was some hot channel cat action there on Friday. Dave and the gang landed 22 cats with the biggest nearing 10 pounds. Yes. Shorefishing channel cats in mid-March.

8. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hanson,

I just wanted to thank you for the info. I am amazed and exited to know that I don't have to give up cat fishing during the winter anymore. Sounds like Dave and the gang had some good luck Friday, what did they use for bait. As for the April Fools gathering what time is it going to start, I am not sure if I will be busy that day but I probably won't be so I would love to be part of it. Please get back to me with the specifics on the gathering.

Take Care and Thanks Again!

Sincerely, Kevin

9. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Kevin - Here is the info on the April Fools Cat Gathering:

This is a great opportunity for everyone to get out this spring and have a good time. The channel catfishing can be nothing short of fantastic with the average fish going anywhere from 2 - 10 pounds with larger fish caught regularly. Seasoned veterans, novice anglers, and anyone interested in getting into catfishing should attend. This is a perfect opportunity to learn, and share information while meeting some good people.

Mill Ruins Park is located on the edge of downtown Minneapolis between the 2 St Anthony Falls dams/locks. I will post a map later, and give driving directions.

Date of the gathering will be April 1st(saturday) at 12:00 noon - whenever your tired of fishing.

There is ample parking close to the water, and the shoreline is very friendly(but elevated). If anyone wants to drag along a barbeque or anything of that nature, there is plenty of room. If anyone has an extra long handled net, or drop net.. its a good idea to bring it along.

What to bring

Heavy bass or walleye gear is ideal. 10# mono and a rod that can cast 1 1/2 oz of weight a good distance is fine(weight dictated by water level and current). Simple terminal tacke consisting of weights, barrel swivels, and hooks (#2) should be fine.

Bait .. A scoop of fatheads should cover a persons needs. We use 2 on a hook(small bait presentations) early in the season with the best results. You are more than welcome to bring any bait you wish.

Lawn chair and rod holders.. there is some concrete seating in some areas, and a railing for a portion of the park area which works good for a rod holder. Other areas there is nothing to prop a rod on.. I highly recommend a rod holder.

Please keep in mind that Mill Ruins Park is a Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board city park. The possession of alcohol is prohibited. If you choose to bring a beer.. its at your own risk of a ticket.

10. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Kevin,

I can clarify as I wa part of "the gang" that caught a bunch of channels last friday (now we're buried in snow:mad: ). We caught them on both "steaks" of shiners and fatheads. 2-3 fatheads (1 whole, 1-2 heads) work well early on. 8-9 foot rods, 1-2 oz weights, and small circle hooks did the trick.

11. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    I'll be at the April Fools gathering for sure. I hope it warms up!

12. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Mr. Wiggum-

What on earth are you doing here? :)

I've been hopping from forum to forum to forum trying to ditch you and you keep finding me. J/K dude! :)

If anyone wants to PM me or e-mail me about the April Fools Gathering, feel free. The gathering is an open invitation to all catmen & women in the metro and surrounding areas to join us for some fishing and comaraderie. The fishing is usually good as well.

There will be a number of catmen from a number of differerent local fishing forums represented. A great way to connect with some other catfisherman who share the same passion and fish the same waters as we do.

I wish we could pack the area with RiverPro's but the fishing is great from shore, no need for a boat.

chris_r_hanson @ hotmail.com

13. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Yeah, you can't get away from me:eek:

14. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Just a reminder that the previously mentioned April Fools Cat Gathering is tomorrow. See the rest of this thread for details. There'll also be a pot for "Biggest Cat." $1 gets you the chance to claim the biggest catfish prize. Find me if you're interested.