Catfishing in the mad river?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by will21190, Jul 12, 2007.

1. will21190

will21190 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    is anyone catching any good size catfish there?

2. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    channels catfish fairborn south to dayton eaters usually

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i assume you are refering to the Mad river in Ohio....? (seen you are located in KY) if so there are SOME channels in the mad, they are few and far between and your bigger ones are mostly within the Dayton city limits stretch. most are small but have seen them up to 7-8lb in the Mad. i grew up fishing the Mad and it seems the best time to catch channels is when they run up into the Mad from the GMR to spawnfrom May-July. dont think i ever got a channel in the Mad after say August.

4. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    I have fished the Mad north of Springfield wading at various locations and though primarily fishing for trout and bass, never saw any hint of catfish up there so I would agree with above post. We used a variety of live baits as well as occaisionally artificials and was surprised we never came across a channel or two in some of the deeper holes. My .02.

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    yes there is channels in the mad I agree with dinkbuster around Huffman dam metro park south better around Eastwood lake but the key is very deep holes i got 2 channels around 3 pounds one smallmouth around 2 pounds and a very nice white sucker around 2 pounds fishing the river in Eastwood metro park. nightcrawlers work very well on the bottom. another things the fish are eatable out of the mad as well rick :big_smile: