Catfishing in streams?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tomcat85, Jul 23, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    so ive only really been catfishing for just this season so im very new to it. i was wondering i fish at lake arthur and there is a dam at one end. there are 3 streams that run off of it. i think there might be cats in there im not sure. i was wondering if you guys could give me a few tips on how to fish for catfish in an area like this and how to look for a good spot to where they might be hiding. any help would be great. thanks brothers!

2. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would try to fish the mouth of the streams. Put one line out in the middle of where it cuts into the lake and then 1 on each side where the water creates a boil and possible a sand dune. If there is any structure near the mouth...fish it hard.

3. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I'm not sure I've got this right, the streams are coming into the lake, or are they going away from the dam? If they are dumping into the lake, I'd hit them right where they dump in, especially if they have good water flowing into the lake. I would choose the one stream with the most water and find some brush or a nice deep hole. Good Luck!
    Don

4. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    You are in luck! These little streams like what you are talking about is what I fish the most. What I would look for is a nice deep hole (usually in a bend in a river) and then try to find some structure in there. If you can, cast like 3 feet in front of it with (I like) chicken livers on a nice little 2/0 to 4/0 J or circle hook. Either one will work usually, since the cats in the little streams are usually pretty enthusiastic.

5. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    shortshank and barbel got ya pretty well covered. But, the kittycats also like to lie right in the mouths of them feeder creeks during and after a heavy storm when a lot of current is flushing food into the main lake. Best times, in my opinion, to fish a feeder.

-Red

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    the streams that im talking about go out of the lake. should i put some kind of weight on so it sits on the bottom?

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thanks guys do i use sinkers and fish the bottom or...what? lol

8. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thanks for the tips!

9. Driver

Driver New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Part 1 of 4

I grew up on a small river/stream here in Illinois. Not sure if this will help much with your streams in PA, but if someone finds it useful, it is worth it...

Here is an aerial shot of the river I grew up on...

10. Driver

Driver New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Part 2 of 4

We fish three primary types of structure in this river, the first being "laydowns" - bankside trees that have had the soil washed out from under them and eventually are claimed by the river. 99% of the time, the rootwad will face upstream with the crown downstream. We generally cast just above the rootwad, alongside and below along the limbs with assorted dipbaits or live/fresh killed bait on slip rigs with no-roll weights. Here is a picture of three laydowns all in a row with areas numbered.

Area 1 - Most rootwads are 5’-10’ in diameter. As this one is 3/4+ out of the water, that leaves water only 1’ - 3’ deep. Poorest location for cats of the three.

Area 2 - Better, but still probably only 3’ - 5’ deep. Worth wetting a line, but generally smaller fiddlers (.75 - 1.5#) will be caught here.
    Area 3 - Best numbers of nice fish (2 - 4#) caught here. Water is approaching 5’ - 6’ deep with a nearby deeper cut bank between rootwad and Area 5.

Area 4 - Fewer in number, better fish will tend to hold back further on the edges of the remaining branches of the laydown. 4 - 5#+ cat from here is not uncommon.

Area 5 - Woody cover nearby a deep hole along a cutbank is a sure recipe for a flat or nice channel. If few fish are caught in Area 3 or 4, OR fish caught have obvious bite marks, hit this area hard with live/fresh killed bait. I have seen areas like this produce flats of 65# and channels up to 20# on this river.

11. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    wheres the pictures? haha

12. Driver

Driver New Member

State:
    Illinois

LOL workin on it.....

13. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    haha alright done yet? lol just kidding.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Catfish lives in stream, I would try fishing by the dam, or under some logs.