catfishing in Michigan

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by eyeguy, Apr 3, 2008.

1. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I am a new member at Catfish1 and my motive for joining is simple, I want to learn how to catch catfish. I was given some fresh catfish last summer and it was wonderful. I need to communicate with someone that has successfully fished for catfish in Michigan so I can learn where to go and how to catch them. When I say "where to go" I don't want you know the lake or river you fish in, I need to know structure, bottom type, depth, moving or slack water, daytime or night, bait etc.
    Thank you,
    eyeguy

2. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    HI, Mike. Welcome to the BOC. If you could give more details it would be a help. Do you prefer to fish from shore, wading or from a boat? What part of the state do you want to fish? Do you want to catch "eaters" (IMHO <18") or big bruisers? I have fished for channel cats only. In rivers I fish mostly in log-jams. Other fishy spots, such as just below dams, along defined weedbeds, in the deepest holes in that stretch of river can also produce. I use 30lb. test mono for the abrasion resistance. I use inline circles hooks with either frozen raw shrimp or fresh cut-bait. I use a light line to a dropper sinker so when the sinker snags thats all I lose. I will rotate my offerings until the fish show me what they want that day.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC from Kentucky its good to have you aboard

4. DEERJOHN

DEERJOHN New Member

State:
    MICHIGAN
    I recently retired, and have decided to get serious about CATFISHING on the western side of the state. Looking for info on where to fish, and what to use for bait?? Thanks for the help. DEERJOHN

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC! This site is full of useful information and great people. Don't be scared to ask people for the "honey holes" you will be surprised how many people will tell you. I am not from your area, but look forward to hearing about you r fishing experiences.

6. ittybittykitty

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    Deerjohn, Welcome. The St. Joseph , the Kalamazoo, the Grand and The Muskegon Rivers, and the lakes where they reach Lake Michigan, all have good catfishing. For flatheads, large live bait at night is the most popular choice. Large includes sunfish bigger than you can catch, suckers to 15 or 18 inches, carp around the same. For channel cats, live fish freshly killed and diced (cut bait) is the most popular. Cut bait needs to be replaced often, it needs to be fresh. For more detailed info go to the MI river forum and ask for help. Good Luck.

7. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Welcome to the BOC Eyeguy. Sounds like they've given you some pretty good advice. If you don't mind my asking, what county are you from? I'm from St. Joseph County, MI.

8. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Welocme to the BOC Deerjohn. What part of the state are you from?

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Better not use carp as bait, that's against the law in Michigan.
    T

10. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    If you are looking for a simple relaxing way to catch eater sized fish in W. Michigan, try the Ionia State Rec Area, Sessions Lake. I fish there regularly in the summers from shore, toward evening (they close at 10pm), there are a lot of shore spots to fish on that lake. It is a manmade lake that was planted with channels, which don't seem to be heavily fished, the lake is loaded with eater sized fish. I fish using bass rods rigged with a dip worm with treble or circle hooks, no sinker, using Sonny's dip bait, and usually am fairly successful. I fish from the bank so usually in the shallows where the fish cruise in the evening looking for a meal. A couple rods in holders set out at different depths and a Tigers game on my headphones and I am all set. Good luck to you.

11. ittybittykitty

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    Ever since the Tigers left WJR I've had trouble finding the games on the radio. I sure miss listening to the game on the ride home.

12. PiscMonkey

PiscMonkey New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Done! and thanks... I'm not much farther from you. And could easly take a tour bus on down sometime when I'm not too hand tied & booked up with 2 fishing club meets this year June & July.

13. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I want to thank everybody for the nice welcome, I would have responded sooner but work and computer problems have kept me off line.
    I live in Wexford County and fish the Manistee River. In the past walleyes were my main target but since eating catfish I want to catch more. I have caught a few channel cats but I can't seem to develop any consistancy. I use live minnows and have tried cutbait and a concoctiion a friend gave me, smelled like soap and stayed on the hook a long time, no bites though. I know there are a lot of catfish in this river but I simply don't know where to start looking for them. I fish mainly the reservoir and have been trying to find them in the deeper holes. Friends tell me the unusual weather we have been experiencing is the main reason for the low numbers being caught but, I figure a fish has to make a living every day or so and after four days of fishing hard and only catching one 5 lb fish I must be doing something wrong.

Again thanks for the welcome. I will post any success in future at this site.
    eyeguy

14. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Howdy eyeguy, What body of water are you fishing on the manistee? I have fished it quite a bit and have done very well.

15. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    A five pound channel isn't bad...not bad at all for my area. As to doing something wrong, I don't think you can go wrong with cutbait: cut bluegill, sucker, shiners, or whatever's handy.

I'm certainly no expert myself but I think as long as you're using good fresh, bloody cutbait you're doing it right. After that it's just a matter of persistence until you find where they're at. I've been pretty much getting skunked for the last few weeks until yesterday & today when I found a new spot. Yesterday, I got a 4lber & today I got a 7lber & a 9lber from my new spot.