Catfishing in Kinston.

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Ronin32NC, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Ronin32NC

Ronin32NC New Member

State:
    Kinston, NC
    Heya guys. I am a new member and only lived in NC for a year. I came here from Australia (where the fishing is a little different) and have adjusted to the freshwater style of fishing here.

I am looking for spots in and close to Kinston to fish for Cats and other species. I have fished the river at Highway70 boat ramp here in Kinston, i have fished the Neuseway back lake ALOT and also the ponds across the other side of that highway. I have caught a big cat in the river at boat ramp and a big one in the Neuseway pond which tore me up in a tree underwater.

I'd love to find more "local" spots to go fishing from. I dont have a boat, so for now I am stuck to the banks. Any tips for a fairly new guy?

I have had most success on Shrimp (peeled) and worms, fished on floats with long trace and on running sinkers (I think you call it Carolina Rig). Most other stuff I have tried livers etc has been slow. I've pulled many good fish from the ponds and throw them all back. When I do alot ppl look at me crazy for throwing back 2lb'ers. Is it not common to throw fish back here?

Any spots, Locales and tips would be appreaciated for Kinston area. Thanks guys.

2. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    Match the hatch, if you can and use the bait you catch in the water you are fishing, bream, perch, shad etc... The bigger fish seem to leave the store bought baits alone. I use a 3 foot leader (trace) 30 lb. p-line CXXX on my cut bait c rigs and use shorter still (50 lb. ande mono) with live bream. I'm no help at Kinston but, try fishing some deeper and some close to shore on slipcorks too. Good Luck, Jim

3. Ronin32NC

Ronin32NC New Member

State:
    Kinston, NC
    Thanks for the response Pier Pressure. Love that tag BTW. I have tried live baits like minnows and not been touched but yeah i guess the golden rule of match the hatch wasnt applied. I havent tried "cut baits" here as my gear isnt substantial enough right now to tackle monster cats i dont think. Sounds like a good excuse to visit the Neuse Sports Store and spend some cash on more gear.

I have seen a few blokes dragging a small net for "bream-looking" fish they have set out on larger hooks, so i am assuming they are targetting cats with them? What is a slipcork rig? A running (free) float for live baits?

Also to those who PM me like Fred, thanks alot for your messages and yes i wish the price of fuel etc was lower too so I could travel to Jordan and those other great areas. :wink: Maybe soon I'll venture out that way and see what other beautiful areeas there are here in NC to fish.

4. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    Mick,
    I've been a stranger in a strange land before too. The first time I fished in NC I landed 5 stripers from shore, but it took me a while to duplicate that feat :smile2:. You should be able to catch bream in the area your fishing for cats, if you can't, move. You don't need substantial gear either (Abu 6500's are fine) just the right drag setting and tough line (20-30 lb. big game- strong and stretchy). A slip cork is just a long skinny float that you can set deep if needed but allows you to still cast it out. Tie on a bobber stop (uni knot) slip on a bead and the float, then maybe a small egg sinker if needed (1/4 - 1/2 oz.) depending on the size of bait. Then tie on a swivel and your leader and your big ole hook :smile2:. Hook live bream from the dorsal fin back but not in the spine. Short stout leaders are my preference on live bait slip corks or they will be a knotted mess otherwise in short order. Cheers, Jim