Catfishing in Fort Gibson, Oklahoma

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mikeC, Mar 3, 2006.

1. mikeC

mikeC New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Me, dad and my cousin plan on making a trip this weekend. Just wondering what type of luck everybody who fishes this body of water are having.

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Hey Mike,

Welcome to the BOC.

While I can't offer you any advice on Fort Gibson (I primarly fish Grand), I wanted to make sure you knew that the lake level was pretty low, so unless you are for sure about your access point you might want to have a backup plan.

Last I heard Gibson was several feet low.

Good Luck!

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I've haven't fished Gibson yet this year but heard the sandies and blues have been ok up north/mazies landing area and they have started snagging some spoonbill around highway 51 bridge. As far as low lake levels Ft. Gibson looks to be just a few inches below normal. Some lakes are down 6 to 12 feet while others have been more lucky.

Current lake levels

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/ReservoirDailyReport/

4. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

catfishcentral,

Thanks for the update and correction on the lake level.

Instead of looking it up on the Web like I should have, I was repeating info from my barber on my last haircut ;)

5. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i was scouting out areas this weekend and came across the hwy 51 bridge. has any catfished under that bridge? i have very little experience on this lake so any help would be appreciated. and also what about other areas of the lake. any hotspots?

6. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Josh,

The main body of the lake I haven't spent any real time on. Now I have fished from a little South of Highway 51 up to the low water dam about 5 miles north of highway 412. I mainly snag spoonbill or troll for sandies but have throw out some jugs before also. The low water dam is always a hotspot when the water is running for just about any kind of fish but the snaggers fill up the shoreline pretty quick so unless your after spoonbill I would stay away from the low water dam. I don't have any specific pointers for you around 51 bridge but all those fish will be coming upstream soon hopefully with the rain. I've heard lots of people doing real well on the sandies on that section of river in the last week but haven't heard of the catfishing right now. That's about all the info I have for ya.

7. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    Is it to late for the 51 bridge on gibson. And where is the 51 bridge at Im not familar with alot of highways in refrence to the lakes. It would be nice to have a map or a link to a map with what to type in for the directions. Man It sucks not having a boat.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Brad, do a google search on google earth

9. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    id get one of those red atlas books at reasors or walmart if i were you. that thing combined with satellite photos on the odwc website is the keys to my scouting. i just know i was over that way and took a look under that bridge and liked what i saw. but now that the springs getting a bit more active im focusing on dams and the few miles below the dams. down by the three forks area in muskogee seems to be producing, at least until we get good river flows and then all those fish will head up towards whatever dam is running the most water. its gonna be a busy weekend but im gonna try to get out this weekend to see what i can muster up.

10. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    is any one fishing that aria . dont know it but i think , i will check it out usually thouse arias are great where the rivers gome togeather. i know where the south canadian hits the arkensaw the fishing is very good .its the same where the white hits the miss. along with the ark. ( THREE RIVERS) i just saw it on a topo it looked good. that aria. have a day

11. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    is the 51 bridge that u all are talking about the bridge between taylors ferry and the sequayah state park.

12. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

That is the correct highway 51 bridge that goes over Ft. Gibson. I was reading back in a older post of mine on this thread that I fish from the low water dam north of highway 412 down to highway 51 bridge. That was wrong I fish several miles just south of highway 412 bridge. I only fish about a 9 to 10 mile section of river. Highway 51 bridge is down on the main body of the lake. Sorry for the typo. I do know people were doing well on sandies and spoonbill that far down several weeks ago but the main action is up around highway 412. If the water gets flowing good anytime soon you can do very well by shore below the low water dam snagging for spoonbill or tossing just about anything that's shad looking for the sandies. That action is pretty slow at the low water dam right now up but I see tons of people from Mazies landing all the way up to the low water dam fishing from shore all the time. Get a good oklahoma atlas to find all the roads to those access areas. There also another highway 51 bridge that crosses the Navagation Channel. When your going east over that bridge there's a pretty decent campround back in a large oxbow off the channel. This is Afton Landing and I've camped down there before while traveling down the channel. Campsites are right on the water and there should be some decent catfishing from the shore there. The oxbows can be better sometimes than the main river when we have prolonged amounts of heavy current in the river. Current can sure turn the fish on but long periods of heavy current can drive some fish back into the oxbows. There's also lots of undercut banks that are prefect hiding holes for big fish during the day. It might be hard to run a limbline without a boat but you could place some bankpoles along there and do well. Also much closer than driving to Ft. Gibson just a short distance off the turnpike.

13. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    catstalker, i fished about a mile uprstream of the forks this weekend and did pretty good. there used to be walking access to the forks but not anymore but a boat will take care of that. put in at muskogees power plant and go upstream to the forks. the guy who told me about that place said whenever theres more water running in one river than the other fish the current break where the two come together. he said that hes slayed huge flatheads there one after another at times. 30 to 50 pound range, but hey a few of those will make a trip huh?

14. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    a lot of guys do good on the big end but if i still gambbled id bet you a quarter mission bend down stream to where spring creek dumps in"just below three finger bay is hotter than a 2 dollar pistol right now especially if the rain we just got is muddying up the water.

15. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thanks guys . my nephew ( hotrod98s) and i are on a mission to find our faverite spot on the arkinsaw, okla. we started at lock 16 and are working our way up river towards tulsa. given all diff temps and weather changes we have had good luck every stage of thr river. we started last year in june and have made it up to spanyard creek so far. the 2 best sections of the river so far have ben. arround stoney point aria . ( southcanadian/ arkansaw rivers junct. awsome also above the 15 lock - spanyard creek every line we put out, every jug. seams to cacth fish. we are having a ball, and seeing a lots of new water. BIG FUN. if u see us we will be the guys in the old boats with the biggest smiles. have a day

16. Oldtroll

Oldtroll New Member

State:
    King NC.
    The 51 bridge is just past Taylor's Ferry Marinia .

If you contact the Corps of Engineers office in Tulsa, you should be able to get maps of any of thier water impoundments.

17. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    catfishinfordman, have you had any luck on gibson? or have you even made it out there?