Catfishing in florida ?

Discussion in 'FLORIDA RIVERS TALK' started by roger_syclone, Mar 10, 2009.

1. roger_syclone

roger_syclone New Member

State:
    mosinee,Wi
    Looking for info about catfishing around bushnell florida just moved to the state and haven't met anyone that goes for cats down here only ba$$ and specks fishermen so far lol :crazy:

2. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I'm starting to think there are no catfishermen in Florida.I used to live in Tallahassee area and was hoping to hear from that area.Apalachicola river has to have huge catfish.

3. mazepa

mazepa New Member

State:
    Florida
    I'm not familiar with that area. We are north of Orlando and usually fish the St. Johns and Lake Monroe. We are currently trying to find a new catfish hole (we bank fish) because they are building a road or something over our spot and it's a mess. I find talking to the locals who are out regulary fishing for mullet and bream at the lake are usually pretty good about sharing info. Also, if you never have before, I would learn how to catch mullet. When they are bitin' you can get a cooler full pretty quickley. They are AWESOME smoked and great cornmealed and fried.

Gina

4. roger_syclone

roger_syclone New Member

State:
    mosinee,Wi
    I am about 80 miles west of lake monroe but I'll put it on my list of places to try this year so far I have heard about clermont lake chains and that they have a few good spots for channel cat.
    I thought mullet was used for bait down here lol .:smile2:
    but I will ask about how to catch them,
    Does anyone catch blues or flatheads this far south ?

5. mazepa

mazepa New Member

State:
    Florida
    Blues and flats are mostly up in the panhandle.

Blue Cats Originally found in the Escambia and Yellow rivers in northwest Florida, they are now also in the Apalachicola and Suwannee.
    *Note-if you fish in the Suwannee on a boat be carefull and wear a life jacket!! It's full of Sturgeon that can get up to 8 feet long and 300 pounds that like jumping, they have put a lot of people in the hospital. Google: jumping fish suwannee river
    It's crazy I've seen them.

Flatheads The distribution of flatheads in Florida is limited. Populations of notable size are found in the Apalachicola and Escambia rivers in the Florida Panhandle

Here is a link to the 2009 top 10 catfishin places in FL.

http://myfwc.com/RECREATION/FW_sites_topcatfish.htm

Apalachicola River channel, flathead, and blue catfish
    Choctawhatchee River channel and flathead
    Escambia River blue, channel and flathead catfish
    St. Johns River and Dunn's Creek bullhead, channel catfish and white catfish
    Ochlockonee River bullhead, channel, flathead and white catfish
    Clermont Chain of Lakes channel and white catfish
    Haines Creek bullheads, channel catfish, and white catfish
    Upper Kissimmee Chain of Lakes bullhead, channel catfish, and white catfish
    Southwest Florida Lakes channel catfish and bullhead
    Joe Budd Pond (Gadsden County) channel catfishing limit 6

I would imagine though that just about every body of water here in FL has some kind of a cat in it :smile2:

Hope this helps,
    Gina

6. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    both Lake Harris and Lake Griffin have active commercial cat fishermen so i would think the fishing should be good. For bank fishermen the Lake Eustis 'lake walk' and the pier at Hickory Point are good places to fish.--shu

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    im in pensacola. im gettin ready to go to jacksonville for a couple years. there will be plenty of catfishin goin on then.