Catfishing in deeper water......Help!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigCat4, Aug 23, 2006.

1. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    is deeper water better?...only asking bcuz i can sit on this wall and about 2 ft. to the right is where the barges run and i know it has to be deep for that so is it better???

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

At times I think it can be. Like during the heat of the day and so on. Then there are the times you want to be a little shallow. Good luck.

3. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    thanks alot man

4. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yep, when it is hot during the day they'll go down to holes and the deeper areas to cool off and forage around there before they come out for their meals when it cools down.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    That's a yes, no, maybe answer. In the summertime, oxygen levels can get depleted at lower levels and it may be best to either fish a suspended bait in the deeper water, or mover to more shallow water. You just have to try it out.

6. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    ok guys i hope this helps me on my 15 hour fishing trip!!

7. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    Keep us posted on your trip and how well you did. I hope you caught a big one!!! Give us a play by play and what set up you used.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Jerry summed it up well. Yes, no, and maybe.

The one thing I have learned in pursuing trophy cats is that they can be caught in a variety of depths during the same time of year. There is no hard fast rule for when to fish where. The skill comes in being able to figure out fairly quickly what is working on the day you are on the lake.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I, for one, know that if the cloud cover and rain keeps up, come Tuesday when I hit the lake, I'm fishing shallow water 2-6 ft deep. But, if the heat comes back, its to the deeper water I go, fishing the edges of the river channel in 7-12 ft deep and suspended baits in water deeper than that.