Catfishing in Canals (yes, Canals)

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by team454ss, Sep 13, 2008.

1. team454ss

team454ss New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :eek:oooh:Went down to the canal at 67th south of Bell this morning. Threw out an anchovie and got a 5 lb channel. Threw out a bigger chunk of stink fish and sat fo about 30 minutes and my pole took off without me! When I caught up to it I had a fight on my hands for a minute or two, then I had a 10 lb channel! I know it's small change, but hey, I have sent in water for testing out of this cannal, and it is of equal quality to lake Pleasant, so me and the wife have some fillets in the freezer that cost a whoping $2.00 to produce! I have caught catfish out of this SRP cannal a few times, never came up empty handed, and while before today the biggest was a 3 pounder, it is a good place for me to go when I can't get out to the good water. If you live near one of these that does not have no trespassing/fishing/swimming/standing/looking/thinking/get away from my grass carp signs then you should give it a try!:wink:

2. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for sharing that story. I've wanting to try the canals but being new to te area i don't know which one or what bait to use. I own a boat that is out of commison until I get a new trailer so it seems like bank fishing is for me right now. I'll have to give a try maybe tonight.

3. Brokenlines

Brokenlines New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for the info, team454ss. It's good see that some people fish at places other than the Colorado River, Bartlett or Rosey.:wink:

4. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Haha, I saw some people fishing there this morning. Ive caught fish there right on the other side of the bridge.

5. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I love those canals I used to catch some nice fish down around the yuma area. Good luck to ya on the next trip.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like a good place to catch them there skillet fish so keep the grease hot

7. devin828

devin828 New Member

State:
    Round Rock TX
    Went down to the canal at 67th south of Bell this morning

where is this place on the CA SIDE OR ARIZONA side I was looking for it on google earth but couldnt find it I fish the old lagoon and the back water alot near 35 & lugo but I didnt reconize this area

devin828

8. azfisher

azfisher Member

State:
    arizona
    There canals I think he's talking about are in phoenix or glendale or whatever the valley.

9. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I have never fished a canal before it sounds like fun. Have you ever run into any issues fishing there or is it a quiet place to fish???

10. team454ss

team454ss New Member

State:
    Arizona
    It depends on what part of town you're in. I live right down the street, and it is quiet here. This canal also crosses 99th ave, and I have heard of decent fish being caught there. SRP has signs posted reguard travel along the canal, but those are for vehicles only beyond gates. Another thing to keep in mind in the Phoenix area is the Urban Lakes Program. They are stocking like RIGHT NOW with lil whiskers, 1.5-2 lb cats and the occasional 4 lb. My wife caught a 4 lber at Surprise, which is a beautiful park. Rio Vista in Peoria is also nice. Cortez is OK, but can get dicey after dark. We are on a budget, so the good water aint always an option. My wife don't like the canals much, but she loves Surprise. Just pick a spot, go with your instincts and get some fishin done! Worse that can happen is you don't catch anything, and that still beats workin!

11. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Wish me luck brothers, with the boat out of commision I'm going to try my luck on the canals between yuma and somerton. I still looking for a trailer that will fit my budget or someone that can spare mine. None the less I'm gonna go wet me a hook in the morn.

12. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
    All this canal talk mad me curious...so I tried an area of the Az canal in the west valley and found a 27 in carp that liked hot dog! Had a late start so the short drive was helpful. All together it was an enjoyable experience.

13. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Hey, the canals are fun. I have been fishing the canals around Yuma for over 30 years and have caught a lot of nice fish, no monsters but very nice fish. What makes it nice is you don't need a boat and even on the most hectic holiday weekend you can find a quiet place away from crowds. There are miles and miles of canals, just drive a little and check it out. You will enjoy it. Tight lines.

:cool2:

14. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Fellas I couldn't have and more fun if I did have my boat up and running! Ok so I'm lying but I still had a blast found me a low lying bridge and got after it. Between me and my body I think we caught all of 15 fish totaling 4 lbs so you can imagine the sizes. We started to take pictures for shits and grins but I figured I didn't want my wife to laugh at me. Good times those canals.:roll_eyes:

15. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I live off of Frank Lloyd Wright/Bell and the 101......and right behind my apartment complex is a canal. I wanted to try to get in there early one morning, maybe I'll see if I can get in this weekend.

16. Fishin_Brud

Fishin_Brud New Member

State:
    Arizona
    What time and what do you use for cats? I fished one at night and caught a good cat with shrimp

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Ive never had much luck in the canals around Yuma. Currents are too strong to keep my bait out where it needs to be. I've thought about going with a maybe a 4-6oz weight.

18. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC! In the canals I use hotdogs, shrimp, livers, or any commercially available baits. Just try not to catch a 5 lb cichlid or algae eater someone let go.:smile2:

19. Fishin_Brud

Fishin_Brud New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks! Tried shrimp and caught two 1 1/2-2 pound cats over the past two days

20. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio