Catfishing in Beaver Lake?

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by sticker, Feb 5, 2006.

1. sticker

sticker New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Has anyone been fishing in the northwest Arkansas area, Beaver lake or White river?

2. willisjj

willisjj Guest

We went a few times when I was young, but I don't remember doing any catfishing in particular. Seems like we used to hit the bass and walleye mostly back then, but I was pretty young. I would have to ask my dad to make sure. Sure was beautiful in that area though and I would like to take my kids on a camping trip there sometime soon.

3. sticker

sticker New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Well not much has changed on Beaver except for the fact you can just about wade fish all of it! I have a few neighbors who do fish the lake for cats but most are primarily bass fishermen ( guilty of that too). I've got a buddy that wants to figure the catfishin out so I'll probably learn it as I go. I'm sure I'll get some info in here also. Thanks, Sticker

4. hoglaw

hoglaw New Member

Let me know what you find out, I'm in a lakehouse until June just south of the highway 12 bridge (I can see the bridge from the back deck). I've seen some boats in our cove recently that looked like they were trolling with baloons behind their boat (striper fishing I assume). Anyhow, I'm going to put a party barge in the water in March, so I'd like to figure out whether there are fish to be caught.

5. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Theres a guy the goes by the name of Syrus that posts on here every now and then. He does a lot of flathead fishing over around the Springdale/Rogers area on Beaver. I haven't ever fished beaver, but i do & have fished the lakes downstream from there. Theres some nice striper and flattys over there from what i hear.

6. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    My favorite lake in Hog land! My wife and I go to eureka springs every fall for a few days and do some fishing as well. I've caught some nice size stripers too.

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    beaver lake has been my home water for the last 8 years. there are a lot of good cats to be caught on the lake. up in the clear water( rocky branch to dam) ther are a lot of what i call appolosa flat heads in the 5- 10 lb. range.in the middle part of the lake there aare good blue cat and channle cat to be caught.aand in the portion of the lake the locals call up the river seqouhia spillway to horseshoe bend you will catch your biggest blues and flatheads. if you are fishing from the bank the farther south south you go up the river the better your chances will be. as you probably know beaver has a ton of bass fishing pressure. regretably this translates into" virtually impossiabl to keep a troutline out" so jug lines are your best bet. i like to free float mine on the channel edges.right now there is a ton of shad in the lake.very easy to net around almos any lighted boat dock. the blue cats are biteing well aroun hickory creek marina right now. one more tipe i can give is if shad is your bait of choice get them now because when the water warms to about 70 degrees the shad go deep and the water is so clear its almost impossiale to get them with a throw net.hope this helps

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    hoglaw you might try fishing between horseshoe bend marina aand the highway 12 bridge. there are a couple of very large flats in this area that produce some nice channel cats drift fishing cut bait. hope this helps.

9. sticker

sticker New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Well after this stinkin snow melts off and weather gets so I can go out without puttin on all my winter clothes, I'll see how the low water conditions affect the catfishin. I've done fair on trot lines in bothe the upper White river arm and down around the Hogscald area. It will hard to find tie-off places but thats ok with me. What do you guys usually use for bait? I've had a hard time getting live bait to the lake and am concidering useing homemade stink type bait. Recipies? Tips? ect.......

thanks,
    Sticker

10. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    retired in ark. lived and fished beaver and the white river 10 yrs. if you want blues and flatheads look on your map . a small town called goshen ark .at the twin bridges boat ramp , put in, go down river ,this is the white river it is a tributary .to beaver lake and the one place you can catch shad year around .it is a fast little river with nice holes some 1/2 mile long .blues and flatheads abound not to mention spoones in the spring.i will be there fir 10 wonderful days may10-20 2006 for the white, striper run. after that the cat fishen is on . today is a good day to sneek upon a fish & it takes a big fish to weigh a hunert lbs:) ;) caatstalker

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    good info caatstalker . im going to give twin bridges a shot after the sand bass run is over.