Catfishing in Baton Rouge Area - Mississippi River Catfish Tips

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by mullyden, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    I guess this is welcome to the new site. Lots of history is at the previous one and hopefully we'll catch enough fish to fill this one up also. Please, anyone in the BR area who fishes the Mississippi River and surrounding areas please keep in touch. I was just getting close to royalty at the old site. I guess this is progress. Hopefully the fishing will pick up as the weather gets a little better. I think those folks in Greenville MS are catching all the fish before they can get down here! We'll keep trying. :grin-big:

2. bself

bself New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well i made it to the site also, I have now started and school and i don't have the problem of too much time on my hands now though. Well keep me posted and how the fishing is going and if you don't have a partner one weekend let me know and maybe i can get free and go. Well I will talk to ya'll later

3. bself

bself New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hope everyone made it through the storm safe. Let me know how ya'll are doing, me and conan got our power back yesterday. We were one of the lucky ones I guess.

4. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    We got our power back this afternoon. We were sure lucky, judging on how bad the poor folks in NO go hit. My son made it here. Most likely his place is trashed, but that can be replaced (he rents!) I feel so sorry for all the refugees here. I don't know what I'd do if I was in their shoes. Just to get a contractor to fix a place with 10's of thousands of other needing help would be a challenge in itself. They all need our prayers.

5. bself

bself New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    yeah it is real bad there, we got our electricity back last night and we were even luck out of the ones here in baton rouge. It will be a long time before it is the same there but i am so glad that they are receiving a lot of help in trying to get this reconciled. I really don't understand the looters though, i can understand if you are starving and need food but if you are just looting for stuff you don' t absolutely have to have i think that is one of the worst things someone can do. the store owners are not even there to protect their stuff. Well i could go on for a while about that topic. Its sick!!!!!! Well anyway good to hear you have power now and all is well with your family. You are right material things can be replaced!!!

6. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    I drove out to the levee this afternoon on the way to volunteer at Lamar Dixon for all the pet flood victims. There were 100s of dogs and cats there and they needed help to keep them clean, watered and fed. It is a major activity out there. There are humane societies from Connecticut, LA and all over the country helping with the effort. Unfortunately I could not stay there long. I really need to go back and assist.
    I did see where we put in and it was clear. In fact the levee had been reworked to make putting in and getting out easier than the recent past. They were very busy, but not with cargoes that fish eat, unless they have a hankering for concrete or scrap iron. Apparently the NO port being out of commission has helped up here. Maybe we can give it a shot this next weekend. What you think?

7. bself

bself New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    sorry i haven't been checking this very regularly, i have been very busy with school, i have 3 test next week. i have also helped out at lamar as much as i can, we got tons of food donated for the horses and dogs. I have mainly been helping w/ the horses though but any help they get really helps. I won't be able to go this weekend due to so many stinking test but maybe the next two weekends look more promiseing. If you everneed to let me know something important just shoot me and email. I always check it.

8. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Glad you're doing ok. Worked a little bit at Lamar Dixon myself. That is really work. There are lots of really dedicated folks supporting that place. Good luck in school. Looks like Miss State could have another long season, huh.

9. bself

bself New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah at least they won the first one, did you go fishing today?

10. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Conan, Scott, my youngest son and I went this morning. The water was so low we could not put it. A first!! We got the truck to the water and the boat would not float. The bottom was too flat. No way to get off the trailer. Pretty bad luck. The water had dropped about 4 ft since last Sunday, from ~ 11 to 6.3 ft in Baton Rouge. Kinda sucked. :mad:

11. bself

bself New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    yeah that does suck, i can't beleive you couldn't get the boat in but could still get the truck all the way down there. they must of done alot of work to the lauch. Well maybe the river will come up soon

12. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    My fridge crapped out today and can you believe Mary made me get rid of my remaining slicker and frozen liver to make room for food. Can you believe she'd do that to me? Oh well, it doesn't look like the river is going to get deep enough to fish in anyway for a while. :cursing:

13. bself

bself New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    that is pretty bad, no very bad. When is the river supposed to get back up anyway? Maybe soon it will be up far enough to fish. Did you survive the hurricane ok? We faired fine but starkville ms didn't. They had a couple of tornados come through and really tear some stuff up. A buddy of mine there said one missed his trailer by about 30 yards and flipped some over in his park. They didn't have any warning but no one was hurt either.

14. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    We need to get that river up and catch some fish. We also need a back up plan off the river so we don't sit on our butts instead of fish. Brad, I thought Miss State was gonna come out of their slump against LSU today by the way they started. Looks like they're still in it huh.

15. bself

bself New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    yeah they are still in there slump, they will pull out of it sometime though. They have already won as many as they did last year :) Isn't there a lake around here somewhere that has some good fishing. Maybe its time just to go explore and try some new things. ;)

16. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    After over 2 months we got back out on the river. It was great weather, the water was clear, but low, but the best part was the fish were biting pretty well. We ran out of worms and shrimp. We brought home 22 nice eaters, with average size being 2 lb. We had 7-8 4 lb fish. It was really a good time. We could see a filled tiger stadium in the background. I have attached a few pics to document the day.

Attached Files:

17. bself

bself New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    hey looks like ya'll did real well, was it hard to get in the river this time? Well maybe they'll continue to bite like that for ya'll

18. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    It was not bad putting in or getting out. The river at BR was 5.4ft. It was right where the ramp stops and it seems like a blob a concrete starts. Don't know what it is like if it goes down any more. It is at 6 now but will be at 4.5 by weekend. We never seem to get a break. I'll probably go down there on the way home from work and see if I can figure out what is at the end of the ramp. The trip was lots of fun with great weather and lots of bites. Hard to beat that combo.
    How is school going for you? Conan said he hasn't seen you much so I suppose you are pretty much working your butt off. If you can work a trip in, let us know.
    Take care. :thumbsup:

19. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am finally in!! I hope they make up their minds and stick with one damn site!!!!

20. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Welcome Crawdaddy, where you from? Not much info on your profile.
    I'm with you, I'd like to see us stay here for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.