Catfishing in Baton Rouge Area - Mississippi River Catfish Tips PART II

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by mullyden, Jul 18, 2006.

1. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    What's the scoop, Ed? Been out? If you can miss the rain and lightning you might be doing alright. I haven't heard of anything much being caught. My problem is that I haven't been out to try. Is your boat still able to get in and out at St. F. I don't know whether I can get in or not. Maybe I'll get to go this weekend. My Salmon/Halibut trip starts a week from Friday. I suppose we'll learn a lot during this trip.
    Talked to Conan today. He's all moved into a house in S. Texas. He expects to get internet next week. I'm sure he'll post then. He's fished much more than me since he left but he's still just checking places out.
    Take care.

2. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Ed,
    I'd say it's bad news... not really. I'm sure you hate getting rid of the boat, cause it was a dandy outfit. You can always go with us assuming we get back out there. It'll probably be a little easier on you not having to mess with the boat, but I'm sure with the number of friends you have you'll still spend lots of time on the river. Who knows, you might just get another one some day. I'm sure you brought lots of joy into the lives of the folks you took out there. I know I enjoy it, and when they're biting there's nothing quite like getting out there catchin them with friends. Hell, look at it this way, you can watch out for the flying carp now that someone else does the driving!!!
    Take care.

3. bself

bself New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I am back from Arkansas had a pretty good trip but I will now be spending all my time trying to get this new house set up. Maybe we will get back out there in a few weeks.

Hope your salmon trip goes very well.

4. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    We so need to get out there again. I am kinda attracted to the jug fishing. I think we ought to try it!.. I leave in the am for Alaska. I'll try to post while there.

5. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Denny,Bself, and Eds...I am finally online. Can't get broadband where I am at so I won't visit as muh but I will still be around!!!

6. bself

bself New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Connan it is sure good to have you back!!

7. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
  8. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Eds,

Sorry to hear about your health problems. Hope everything works out for the best. And I am sorry to junk up the catfish Tips thread. I didn't realize it was new thread until now :)

I have been fishing here, but haven't had any luck. I am finding it very difficult to find catfishermen around here. The locals I have talked to don't care for catfish and instead fish for what most of us would label trash fish i.e. gar,carp. There is a lake about a mile from my house and I talked to a guy there. He said that he fishes for gar and sometimes he will catch some cats, but he throws them back and only keeps the gar!!!! Can you believe that?!?!?

So far I haven't had any luck there. My wife doesn't like me going out there because my brother-in-law keeps telling her stories about how dangerous it is because, according to him, alot of drug dealers work out there. So far, I haven't seen any evidence of it, but I always carry my fillet knife and box cutter just in case!! But I am determined and will eventually solve the mysteries of catfishing here, unless I find a partner in the meantime!!

9. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    I got back to town this afternoon after a great week of fishing in Alaska for Halibut and Salmon plus whatever else bit. We stayed at a really nice place with mountain view and a beach right on the ocean. They just launched aluminum boats not much bigger than Eds former boat and they took us out fishing. Due to weather, we had to adjust out locations, but the guides knew what they were doing. We limited out most of the time. I did catch the largest ling cod taken at the lodge. You could guess mine would look more like a catfish than anything else there. It weighed 54 lb. Big halibut were fun, but the salmon are the fish that put on the show. Those guys would jump and fight until they couldn't any longer. It was lots of fun, but I still like my river fishing which I have not done in quite some time. A few photos are attached. Ed, you really need to take a trip. Conan, glad you finally got internet. That dial up will probably put a crimp in your poker playing, huh! You all take care and be careful. The day before I left, a roofer was killed by lightning right across the street!

Attached Files:

10. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Man, glad to hear you had a good trip and glad to have you back!! Those are some nice fish!! As far as the poker and dial-up, it has been really smooth. I haven't had a single issue in about 5 hours of online play (knock on wood)!!

11. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    By the way I turned 35 today :) Got my regular gift from my Dad ( which is typically my favorite ), a years subscription to the Dallas Cowboy Weekly. My sister-in-law bought me a programming book ( I"m working on a new webpage...I am planning one for me,you, and Brad to keep in touch with ). Hopefully the fishing will be more productive once the weather cools. But, I am going to keep trying anyway!!!! Think I'll start a log keeping records of temp,bait, and time to see if I can catch a pattern.

12. bself

bself New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well Happy Birthday you old fart. Denny those are some nice fish. maybe in a couple weeks we can get back out there. If I can finally get everything settled with my house.

13. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Ed,Bself
    Glad to hear from both of you. Ed, nice to see you are keeping up with the river catch (if any). I don't know if I can get out, but as soon as Brad is able, I want to try it. My boat will set up if I don't.
    Ed, you really need to take that trip to Alaska. My buddy and I were paired up with a fella 62 yr old and his 92 yr old dad. They both were real fisherman, but the old man was really good. His lifetime dream was to go halibut fishing. They were from New Jersey and he fished for flounder mainly. He really loved the halibut fishing. His biggest was almost 40 lb. That old guy could cuss with the best of em when he thought he was getting too much help from his kid or others. They were quite nice folks as was everybody I met.
    I'm sure your eating dogfood now that the wife has the Beemer. Yea, Right. I'm sure you can scrape up enough for that new boat next year. Sounds like a waste of time right now. I would like to still go out and give it a shot. That old fella from N.J. makes lead sinkers in his spare time. Apparently sells them to local sporting goods stores by the thousands of lbs over the years, all by himself. Apparently the lead fumes haven't hurt him too bad although he says he does wear a respirator. I'm gonna buy some from him. For halibut we used either 2, 3 or 4 lb sinkers depending on the tides. A wad of bait probably weighed another lb so you had a load to crank with or without fish.
    You'all take care.:lol:

14. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Alright Denny,

Just address Bself and Eds just because I moved away. I understand. Now my feelings are hurt!!!

15. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Man this is sad!! You guys need to start getting out and catching some fish!! I haven't posted here much. I found a site called the Texas Fishing Forums that has been really useful. But I always check back here to see how you guys are doing. But, apparently nothing has changed from Denny's last report!! I hope it changes soon!!

16. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    I went out to see if the boat would crank up. Works like a champ. I'm ready to go if we can get in.
    Conan, how was the meteor shower?:cool2:

17. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    The meteor shower was a complete washout both nights. Clouds rolled in about 11pm both nights and didn't break.
    I am experimenting with trot lines in the canal behind the house. No luck so far, but I think I know why with the current set-up. Will adjust Monday.
    I went running yesterday and am so stinking sore, I think I'll just relax today!!

18. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Guess it couldn't happen to a better bunch. Seriously, I hope somebody can get in. I sure don't remember any lower water elevation. If I can get Brad to go Sat, we're gonna give it a try getting in. May be a complete waste of time. I did crank up the boat last weekend with mickey mouse ears to see if it still ran, which it did! May have to go on to Lake Verrett if we can't get in.
    Take care.

19. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hope you guys can get in!! If nothing else you can make the drive so you don't forget how to get there since it's been so long!!

My trotline had an unfortunate accident with the lawn mower that was mowing the bank of the canal near my house. I had caught 2 carp, 4 and 3 lbs, and then a nice eating size channel that day. Now she is gone!! But fortunately we had a BBQ at the in-laws tonight and I was telling him my story. He ran to the garage and brought me out a trotline he had made 3 years ago and has never used. I am going to break her in tomorrow evening at the lake. I am going to use 3 different hooks and all the same bait. Keep a log of which hooks catch fish. Then switch the hook arrangement up, keep more records, and then do it again with a different bait until I can find a combination that works best!!
    And I am also going to check out that pond near here and see if I can try it out!!
    I'll let you know how it works out!!

Denny, you heard from Brad lately?? I haven't gotten any responses from email so I was wondering if he is moving or is just being a stuck-up punk!!

20. bself

bself New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am still around, really trying to get moved and settled in. I havn't got any emails from you. bself2@cox.net We are going to try and get out this next weekend for a little while.