Catfishing in Australia

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Heinz, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Heinz

Heinz New Member

Hi catfishing friends,

in Australia you find two large freshwater catfish species:

Catfish forktail (blue)

Catfish forktail (salmon)

Does anyone know the scientific names of this species?
    They must be Arius species, but which. Maybe you find it in www.fishbase.org.

Thank you very much in advance for supporting the most comprehensive database in the world concerning freshwater records.

Heinz Machacek, editor

World Records Freshwater Fishing

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Heinz, I'm downright ashamed that you posted over two days ago and have'nt gotten one response. First, welcome to the BOC. If there is a fishing question that needs an answer, someone on the BOC has an answer. If not, just let me know and I'll fabricate one real fast. LOL.

I kind of thought all the catfish in the world would somewhat be related, then you throw two species up on the screen I have never heard of...but, like I said, someone should have the answer for you.

You ever tie into any of the saltwater crocs on a catfish rig? Just wonder who would get more upset...the croc or the fisherman. At any rate, welcome.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Heinz, welcome. I have been to Australia only once and I was not able to fish. I was on R&R from Viet Nam. I can not tell you about those particular catfish.

4. Heinz

Heinz New Member

Hi AwShucks,
    thank you very much that you will help me. I'm really surprised that nobody has an answer in this real large community.

Heinz Machacek, editor

World Records Freshwater Fishing

www.fishing-worldrecords.com

5. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Here you go. I found this on a website. Hopefully it is what you are looking for:

Catfish - Fork Tailed (Ariidae)
    Large in both numbers of species and physical size, their size may have contributed to their scientific family name Ari - which is derived from the Greek god of war. This family of catfish can be found in abundance in Australia as well as other tropical and sub-tropical areas of the world. Most are marine fish, however a few have adapted to freshwater. Ariidae are paternal moneylenders, a somewhat unusual practice in the catfish family. Due to their size, they more often found on the table rather than in the aquarium trade. However the following two species are sometimes found in larger aquariums.
    Arius berneyi (Lesser Salmon Catfish)
    Arius graeffei (Blue or Salmon Catfish)
    Both resemble the popular Arius seemani (Jodan's Shark), which is indigenous to North and South America.

6. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Here is a picture of the blue forktail and a map of their distribution in Australia.

Attached Files: