Catfishing Houston Area.....HELP!

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BassCat1, Jul 24, 2006.

1. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Good Day All - I am coming to Houston next week to do some contract work. I want to do some inshore fishing around Galveston (Help me with this area if you wish!) and I want to see what I can do with some catfish. I am going to be around for a couple months with little to do on the weekends, so I want to catch me some kitties. More than likely, I'll be bank fishing, but would like to rent a canoe or kayak for a little change. Any tips, ideas, advice, etc. would be much appreciated. I appreciate your time and help! Mark

Oh, I prefer to Bass fish.....any help would be nice. Anyone out there looking for a temp. fishing partner? I have about 12 yrs. of mostly bass fishing, but do some catfishing and inshore fishing when I can. Basically, I pretty much know what I am doing, just need a little help and opportunity! MTM

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    For bass, the best close to Houston is found on Lake Conroe. There are several marinas. You can bank fish at Cagle campground up off FM 1375. Its a National Forest campground. Take I-45 North past Conroe, take the FM 1375 exit, cross over the interstate and keep going untill just before you get to the bridge across the lake. Most of the marina's will allow fishing aroung them. Also, there is a boat ramp at FM 830 off I-45 that's free and has some room for bank fishing there. And, Scotts Ridge is a Nat'l Forest operated ramp on FM 1097. Don't fish Conroe anymore, but hear its still very good for bass. There's also a canoe/kayak rental place on Conroe. Southwest Paddlesports on I-45 near the Woodlands rents canoes and kayaks.

These days, I primarily fish L. Houston for catfish, but there aren't many easy access points on the lake and bank fishing seems lousy. In Galeveston itself, Galveston Island State Park has a couple of freshwater ponds almost noone fishes. There are bream and bass in those ponds. The are on the bayside of the highway. Light gear would be the order of the day. You might want to check our the Texas Parks and Wildlife (TPWD) for community fishing lakes/pond where you'll be staying. Some of those hold good fish.

3. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you want to go inshore and wade you can do several places with-in 45 mins of Houston. Surfside, Texas is a small community but the fishing there is generally damn good either out in the water or from thier jetty. Costs 8 dollars for unlimited parking tag (one time fee). Can wade-fish anywhere along their beach as it has alot of sandbars out front. Cast mullet, croaker,and shrimp (live or cut) suspended 2 to 3 feet underneath a poping cork and bring in Specs, Sandtrout and the occasional redfish and shark. Gold. silver, yellow/black spot spoons, DOA shrimp and white/red plugs are excellent artificials. good specs can be caught under and around and grass you might find on watermelon bass assassins rigged carolina style, also white willow-leaf spinnerbaits.

For more redfish and sharks you would have to drive a little further to Boliver penisula but the bulls are running in waves and spanish mackeral have been pouring in and out of the cut over the past month.

PM me if you need directions or anything.

4. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just wanted to add that you rally want to bring that heavy-er action stick when you come if you are going in-shore. Red's are moveing around and so are good size blacktip's. Be a shame to see that PB spot-tail swim away cause your too light on the tackle.

5. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Jerry & Ike - Can't thank you enough for this info. You guys are a real credit to the Brotherhood! Any other info. is more than welcome! Keep it coming!

Tight Lines,
    Mark

6. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    Basscat, Lake Houston is where i would go, there si bank fishin gat Deiusson Park on the south sid of the lake by the dam the re is bank fishng on the san jac river off of Hiway 90,,There is bank fishing north of the lake at Luces Bayou bridege off FM2100 shucks there is plenty of fishing all around if ya call me i can possibly hook you up with some guy s who will take you out at lake Conroe and lake Houston..
    Good luck
    GB

7. catfish dreams

catfish dreams New Member

State:
    Huffman texas
    fish lake houston all the time. catch alot of nice channels@ some big blues up to 35.5#. i keep my boat at lake houston marina. i set out 6 rods baited with shad some heads some fillets some whole.i use 100ft ancor line and control my drift over channels from 15 to 34ft.i use circle hooks carolina rigged. i have fished this lake for about 5 yrs. summer time and weekends i fish at night. contact me if you would like to go.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I assume the guy who first posted has come and maybe gone, maybe not. But, my lake is also Lake Houston, though I fish above the 1960 bridge, mostly along or off the W. Fork. The channel catfishing has been great, but I fish in the daytime mostly. The best bite has been until about 3 pm.

9. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    Catfish dreams would like to go with you sometime learn how to drift for cats ain't ever done much of that:lol: !!

10. catfish dreams

State:
    Huffman texas
    Myself and my daughter went out saturday night. We marked alot of fish toward the dam in 15ft water. Caught 7 channels in about an hour,hooked one big fish that won the fight. Moved in search of bigger fish and never caught another keeper,should have stayed put.We docked abought 2am, also caught 4 whites. I try to go a couple evenings a week, let me know when and we can meet and go.

11. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    "Bass Fish..." ....:eek:oooh: :roll_eyes:
    I use "Bass" for CATFISH BAIT!:cool2:
    That's All....
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post:wink: :lol: ]]]]]

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Shoulda fished Friday. Of course, I spent about 6 hours on the lake, but by 3:30, had boated 17 channels, the largest was 9 lbs, several over 5, bunch of others 2-4 lbs. Finally just started tossing them back after catching #12. Even had one jump up and take a bait dangling a couple inches above the water while I was undoing a hangup.

13. catfish dreams

State:
    Huffman texas
    What part of the lake are you fishing. What bait do you prefer.

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Generally, I fish from the W. Lake Houston bridge on to where the lake opens up to the main body. I use a kayak, so have lots of options to launch. The only ramp on that part of the lake is a private Kingwood subdivision one. The management association is serious about towing vehicles with trailers without the K sticker they issue. Big bucks to get the vehicle out of impoundment, and the tow truck drivers love those calls.

I usually use bream, 2-6" ones. Catch them in my castnet where I launch my kayak. Sometimes, I'll get into some shad, but the bream, especially heads, have been the best bait for me.

15. catfish dreams

State:
    Huffman texas
    Lets get together and try our luck. I use shad mainly. Fish west side opening at 6th collum out in 30ft of water. I will try to be logged on about 8:30 this evening. Got to go now the fish are calling.