Catfishing Help

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by matt, Jan 18, 2006.

1. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    I have gone fishing 3 times this month and have bad luck every time i have gone fishing. I have fished whit chicken liver, herring and nightcrawlers and did not catch anything just a bite or two all day long. Can any body help me to tell me what i am doing wrong?

And i am fishing at hartwell lake.

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    You may want to try cut bait,bluegill,bluegill heads, that type of thing .sometimes blood baits like the liver dosent work very well in the winter.
    Location could be a factor as well,im not sure what kind of cats your trying to get but structure such as logs, trees, anywhere that gives the fish cover is a good place to fish.We really need some more info about where you fish,is it a river or lake?The more info you can give us the better we can help you get to catching them wisker fish.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    oops i see now at the bottom where it says your fishing a lake sorry.

4. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    me and Bravesnflat25 are fishing next to a bridge. and we are fishing for channels and blues we are going again the 23 of this month this time we are going to fish near a old bridge and some trees that fell down. any good info to help us?

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Matt, my experience has been the same as yours at Hartwell. I"ve been there 3 times this year with nary a nibble, even tho I'm marking lots of fish. Fortunately, there's lots of guys here with lot's of experience fishing Hartwell - go to the South Carolina Lakes section of the board. The one day I poked around the I-24 & I-85 bridges in the Seneca River area I did not spot any fish, but upstream in/around the creek mouths there were lots, all around structure, generally in 40' of water and deeper. Good luck, and keep posting.

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Remember that the water is still cold and that the fish may not be very aggressive right now. It sounds like you have the right idea about where to look for the fish though. Try the deepest water you can find and try to put the bait right on top of the fish. That advice is given under the assumption that you have a fish finder. The baits you mentioned should produce fish eventually. Stay after them and you'll soon be loading the boat with fish! Good luck!

7. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    when it gets cold i dont target just deep water. i look for shallows near deep water. this being that on warmer days in winter i think the fish move out of the deep water to close shallows lookin for food. IMO the best bait to use when it gets cold is fresh cut bait fished right on the bottom.

8. BIGBASS3638

BIGBASS3638 New Member

try shad guts they leave a long sent trail.

9. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I think your mistaken my last post was on 1/6.:confused:

10. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I fish hartwell through out the year, and i'm having trouble during the winter as well. It's tough out there right now, but you can put fish in the boat if stay at it. What time of day are you fishing?

11. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    i fish early in the morning till 9:00 at night

12. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    what part of the lake are you fishing?

13. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    somewere near the double bridges

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Try the cut bream. Heads seem to work best for me. You can use fillets, and steak section cut vertically out of the fish. You will generally catch bigger fish with this bait, so there may not be as many.

Winter is a totally different than summer, obviously. Bait fish seem to be in smaller areas, and it really depends if the area you are in has bait fish. The bite is going to be slow either way, so be patient and think about spring!

15. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    thanks for the info have any more hints for me :)

16. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    When the waters cold the fished reflexes are slow. They dont hibernate, but reaction times are slow. I have seen video of food passing right by big cats and unless it hit them in the mouth they didnt respond. When the waters warm fish the shallows and look for dead fish along the bank. Shad often winter kill and the cats follow the smell to an easy meal. Remember a fishless day still beats 9-5.

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well of course the metabolism is down in the winter. Now I dont know the water you fish, it's probaly different then were I fish. But in the winter I like to find holes out of the current and I like to fish with fresh cut bait or fresh 4-6 inch shad threaded on the hook. In a lake, I like to fish points that drop off to deep water. They will go shallow in the winter too though. I have caught them in 5ft of water when the water was real cold. If you fish a Lake with creeks that feed the lake maybe you should give the creeks a shot. I do pretty good doing that in the winter. Also you could try chumming, that seems to help me. Wish I could help more.....

Good luck!:)