Catfishing Greenbo, Yatesville.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by bigkane, Jul 7, 2009.

1. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Hey guys needs some pointers. I recently started catfishin again for the first time since high school (I'm 32). What's the best way to fish the lakes bottom or top? What kinda bait? What lb of test is everyone using? My setup is ugly stik catfish rod with a Abu Garcia ambass. 6600 and I'm thinking of spooling on 80lb spiderwire with 50lb fluorocarbon leaders and octopus hooks. Am I in the ballpark? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Scott7m

Scott7m New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    nope.. not even in the ballpark as far as im concerned..... the reel is fine. if your fishing from shore a 9-11' rod is reccomended. but your choice in line is wayyy off, I'd personally go with a 20-30# big game, and probably a 30# leader, you don't need anything like your saying. and spider wire can be severe problems if you get a tangle out on the water.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Jeremy and Scott Welcome to the BOC.
    You have a great reel in the 6600 abu. There is no need for that heavy a line in either lake. Heck I fish the Ohio with 30# mono. Most of the guys I know fish nothing more than 40# and they target flatheads all the time. 9-10' rod would be good for shore bound fishing for extra casting distance. Bait if you target flatheads live bluegills are the way to go. If you're targeting channels Chicken liver, shrinp,and cut bait ( bluegills,shad and skipjack ) are all good bait. There is a lot of info on this site to soak up so have fun reading and enjoy the ride. Welcome aboard Bro I'm sure these other guys will chime in on the thread.

4. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I'm going to be fishing some paylakes as well, since I don't have a boat. At least I know their in there and fun to catch. Is 40lb heavy enough for paylakes as well?

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If I was fishing pay lake I would go 20#or maybe lighter cause most of the pay lakes don't have much stuff to get hung on other than fish.

6. big joe salyers

big joe salyers New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i am using 40 lb trilene big game fixing to drop down to 25lb fish alot of paylake around ashland area i use 9 foot river cat poles with abu 6500 tc reels give me a holler we could go fishing

7. Scott7m

Scott7m New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fish paylakes a lot around here. Most of the time like others have said there isn't much to get hung on. I have 2 9' catfish rods from hyper-glow, not expensive rods, bout 25 dollars each. They cast well and can handle big big cats. On each rod I have a Garcia 6500 Custom Green cat that I absolutely love. They are both spooled with bright green 30# berkley big game. You can hold anything you are going to catch in a paylake with that if you always check for bad places in your line and such, each week before I go I pull out a bunch of line and check it, then retie all my rigs and start fresh. I've been using the same sinker,floater, swivel, on both rods all year long and I fish at least once a week all night.

If your going to hit paylakes you first need to decide if your going to target hatchery fish or big fish. That will help you decide which bait. Hatchery fish like shrimp/night crawler combo, or cherry chicken combo, nightcrawlers alone. That will take care most your hatchery fish.

For big fish I like to use israeli carp, goldfish, bluegill, shad, skipjack. That kind of stuff. If you start paylaking you'll need two rods.

My favorite paylake in the area is Sky lake, has two ponds, both of which have big fish, but the smaller pond also has hatchery fish, the big pond is all big fish. I caught 321# of cats out of the big lake at Sky a few weeks ago in one night.

Lakewood lake is another good choice, it's near ashland.

8. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Do you all fish top at the paylakes? Does sky lake sell the live bait? Thanks for all the help.

9. Scott7m

Scott7m New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yeah most ppl here seem to hate payponds because of they rob the rivers, but yes sky lake does sell bait, its a lil on the high side. i generally fish about 15-16 ft deep or on the bottom.. I never fish shallow hardly, when i'm targeting bigger fish that is

10. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I went to Lakewod Lake last night and never even got a bite. I think I'm gonna start hittin the river and the local free lakes. I threw everything at them last night, live carp, bluegill heads, secret 7, shrimp, nightcrawler, and nothing worked. I think there's too many bait fish swimming around in that place. I noticed lots and lots of bluegill and carp that were perfect for bait, swimming everywhere.

11. Scott7m

Scott7m New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hey i was there friday night..... fished from 4 til 12. no bites. lakewood is pretty dead right now unless your targeting hatchery fish. which you can catch a basket full of them most of the time there. right now is a tricky time in paylakes, most of the fish are sluggish because of the warm water and the flats are going on the nest as we speak. just not good times to be hitting paylakes expecting to catch a lot.

12. Scott7m

Scott7m New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    about greenbo, how deep of water should you target the channel cats in? i've never tried fishing for them from a boat there. anyone know some good spots to hit, i am somewaht familiar with the lake, i've bass fished it a lot

13. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I went to Greenbo last night. I got there around 1:00am and fished until about 5am with nightcrawlers, liver, and secret 7. I got several good hits but only 1 taker, a 3lb channel cat on the secret 7. I was fishing at the boat dock.