Catfishing from a JetSki

Discussion in 'Boating' started by rush_60, Dec 14, 2009.

1. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Anybody tried this? I ran across a website the other day devoted to jetski sportfishing. Some of the 3 seaters have a range of 100 miles! The guys even rigged up cooler racks and had turned the coolers into livewells. pole holders are attached to the coolers. You cant take big 50 pound fish home with you (easily) but if your CPR'ing you don't have to worry about it anyway? My family has a jetski but no boat so I'm giving this some serious consideration. Any advice from those that have tried it would be appreciated.

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    id be all for it brotha!! let us know how it works out

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ive really thought about tryin to fish off a jetski before but wander how it would hold up..

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if you can do it from a canoe a jet ski would be a luxury

5. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
  6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i would think its a great idea, those things can get ya into some skinny water plus they move pretty fast, not alot of walkin room but perfect for one person, even just ta get ya around from different bank spots would be great.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Sorry, I'll take my 20 barge with a jet. They look cool but I can't imagine trying to sleep on one, nor could I imagine trying to run upriver at night on one. How would you fish 2 guys on one or do you have to have two ski's? Then, what if you need to bum a smoke or pass the chips? :wink:

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    2 dudes on a jet ski...nah

i dotn mind fishing alone...actually would prefer it most of the time...sleeping would be ok..if you fell off..youw ould know it :eek:oooh::smile2:

9. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Sounds cool. Be innovative, that's how yak fishing has become so popular.
    Let us know how it works and post up some pics.

10. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I posted up this thread like last week! I think it would be the bee's knee's!

Link

11. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Not to change the subject but----- Jeffro- I absolutely love your avatar:big_smile::smile2:

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    How the heck you fish from a Yak? Do they even swim?

Attached Files:

• Yak.jpg
      Yak.jpg
      File size:
      6.1 KB
      Views:
  13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    To add to Shawns' very wise post, you would also be relegated to warm temperature fishing. HOWEVER, IF that's the ONLY way for you to get ON the water as opposed to bank fishing, I say give it a try. I haven't read the jet ski forum stuff, but the pics I saw were of folks ocean fishin' on 'em. Plenty of room to be drug around by a big fish. Don't know how practical they would be for catfishin'.

BB in SC

14. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I saw a guy on the Mississippi river with a jet ski, that pulls a real small jon boat, Like a 8' dingy jon. He packs that little boat with all his stuff and takes off down river. Im not sure how he works it when he gets to his spot but just thought I would add to this post. :big_smile:

15. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    interesting thread

16. How do ya take your own pic or take a leak??:big_smile::eek:oooh:

Imagine fighting a 50 lber on one of those!? LMAO!:smile2:

17. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Yak fishing is cool. Some people just call it "yaking":smile2:
    Have you ever Yakked-I have.
    The jetski thing is a little "out of the box" but i would try it if i had one.

18. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    ill stick wiyh my little boat....:0a22:lol

19. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sounds interesting if you're just trying to make use of what's already available, but I sure wouldn't go out and buy one specifically for that purpose. You'd get much more boat for the same money and physical effort. Then too it would pay to be young and in the best of health to deal with all the unexpected possibilities. Us old farts ain't got no business on one of them there things.

20. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I couldn't imagine fighting a 50 lb cat on a jetski. Sounds like that would give the true definition of a jetski. Getting pulled around the lake. Knowing jetskis aren't the most stable of watercraft, but it might be fun to try.