Catfishing from a Canoe

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JMarrs328, Mar 29, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I'm thinking about purchasing a canoe with one of my buddies so that we can access smaller, more remote, and unfished waters. We gonna target smallmouths, and probably some channels and flatties too. Anyone ever fish for catties out of a canoe?

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes

I've had the same one fer 34 yrs now and have ran some trot-lines with her. It fun pullin in a 25# snapper and tossin it back to your partner :0a5:

Take a vest plz.

3. tackleman

tackleman New Member

State:
    Olathe. Kansas
    I have a canoe I fish out of and like it. No ramp hassles you can put it in just about any where you want to. It's a quiet way to fish (easy to move into the shallows). If you are going to transport it on top of your vehicle take a look at the loader Cabelas has. It makes loading and unloading a breeze.

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have never fished for catfish in a canoe, but a friend and I use to fish the kelp beds in Monterey bay out of a canoe with a pvc pipe outrigger!

5. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    some of my best memories are fishing spoon river in fulton county il. i have a plastic coleman 17' canoe i bought 10yrs ago for $288 new, certainly have got my moneys worth. the spoon is small enough you can usually just step out of the canoe to land a big fish, or set a bankpole. a motor mount is easy to rig up, i prefer to just paddle but if you have to go back upstream a motor is sure handy. smallmouth ba$$ are abundant, up to 3 lbs. channels are everywhere and flatties up to 65lbs have been caught (not by me!) there is just nothing more relaxing than floating silently down a river, fishing, squirrel hunting, or stopping to pick mushrooms.

6. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
  7. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    catwacker do they still do the spoon river drive thing in sept or october? Made that trip for 30 some years. Pretty drive that time of year too.

8. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Josh, I have a 14 foot plastic canoe. And I think I spent about $399.00 on it. It has been worth every penny, I have rod and reel catfished, I have jugged out of it, and I love it. In my opinion for the money it is hrd to go wrong, I love mine.

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I havent had the oppurtunity to fish them out of a canoe yet but Im saving to buy one. I have had the oppurtunity to use a 1 man inflatable raft to fish for them in. Needless to say, (yeah I know but I was in high school at the time) the last cat was a fiesty one and spined the uss minnow. I got my stringer, gear and myself to about 5' before it couldnt hold me up anymore. Glug Glug......

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i wouldnt catfish out of a canoe for anything! i have one and they are just not set up to cat out of. some of the cats i catch would drag a canoe around for a week! matter of fact , the only thing i really use my canoe for is to get from point A to point B. just not stable enough to fish big fish in. but i guess to each his own.

11. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I have a buddy that tries to catfish out of a canoe and it is a wonder he hasn't drowned. They are not stable enough for this old fat boy.

12. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    chuck, yep they still do the drive every fall. hasn't changed much. gas prices might slow it down some. it's a good time, and the scenery is just plain beautiful.
    catwacker