Catfishing Friday night at Bartlett

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by tdpasser, May 27, 2006.

1. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I talked myself into going to bartlett friday night and did have success, in fact I broke my personal record twice with a pair of flatheads 21lb and an 18lb. I decided to change spots and try a more comfortable area with absolutly no structure. I've been painting this area on the way to the place I normally have been fishing that had too much structure/snags. This new area goes from 3feet to 38feet in about the size of a football field with the bottom getting hardly any hits for structure. from the shore it was a slope to the depth metioned which was painted at casting range as I would go by. gilled up with about 30 gills nice size, no dinks. Caught the first one 21 at 2315 and the 18 at 0145. I was packing everything up and the rods were the only thing left with the second one struck, so I unpacked and stayed until 0400 with only a couple nice channels but no other flats. With the clean area to fish I used longer leaders about 2feet which I think kept my gills more lively. I've been fishing these hills in a cove with some success but many snags. I decided to try this new area because of the transitioning of depth and no snags. water temp 79.9. This was the quietest holiday night I've ever seen no music from the camper and light were out around 0100. Try to post pics after resize.Problems with other pics got this one to take may try again with the others.

Attached Files:

2. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Nice fish! I wish I had as good a night sat as you did fri! I almost went to bartlett too! Glad to hear the partys hit the sack early.

3. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Those are some nice flats

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    nice catch! I just posted a while ago to talk about the night I had on Friday down here in Yuma. Not quite the size of your fish but it was productive.

5. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Nice fish!! Went Sunday night and was shore bound. Spent the night just below the no wake bouyes.You must have missed the crowds because it was packed when we went up on Sunday and there were a few parties going on but it wasnt as bad as I had anticipated. No runs on gills but picked up alot of really small channels.

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Terry,
    Great job on the new personal best. Two near twenty is a great night. The 20lb. range is hard to break. But they are out there. If you are describing an area on the North East side of the lake, I know what you are talking about.
    * I was at Bartlett last weekend and stopped in that spot to fish for carp. Nailed a 15-16lber in the middle of the afternoon on raw shrimp.
    * There must be ledges or or somesort of hidding spots we are not seeing..

* Hope to see you out there some time. I'm in a sun tracker toon. I will look for your red V-Hull.
    * Take care!

7. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Thanks Andy I really want a toon also, they would be so comfortable I think that's why I tent to boat to a shore and break out the lawn chair. I will be looking for a beater toon to fix up within the year don't care about speed just comfort. If I don't trade it in I could use the 35HP on my 14' lund for the toon. As far as the spot goes I think with the varing depth itself is an attraction with the cat being able to warm up and cool off with shallow and deep water. I believe the area is somewhat rocky but nothing huge as far as structure that I've seen yet. Got a couple snags and break offs but not too many. And yes N.E is right. Definetly say hi if you see my red lund. good fishin to ya!

8. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Nice Fish, i am going to go out on 05/31/06..hopefully i get into some flatheads like that..Good Job.