Catfishing Fayetteville Cape Fear River Stretch 2010

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Cathunter Pete, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Hey guys figured I'd jump on the wagon that Cat-n-around started last year with the Neuse River thread. I haven't posted for a good while as just hunting season has ended and it's time to get back out on the river. Just got the "toon" ready for the river, now I'm waiting for the river to lower some. Hi to all my buddies who fish the Fayetteville stretch! Has anybody been out lately, and if so how has the fishing been? I'd like this thread to work like the Neuse thread so we all can put our pics, info, and results of our outings for the year! I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a safe holiday season! March 13 is the Spring Fling and it's the first tourney of the year as far as I know for the Fayetteville stretch, I hope to see you all there!

2. michael williams

michael williams New Member

State:
    nc
    We went out on the river yesterday.We had three boats and between us all we caught about 60 fish from 6-14 lbs.Biggest of the day about 28 the bite was great,but the big ones started about the time we left around 6 pm.But it was a great day of fishing.

3. Cathunter Pete

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Thanks Michael! What was the bait of choice and where did you put in at?

4. michael williams

michael williams New Member

State:
    nc
    We put in at Riverside and all fish were caught on shad.

5. seth3221

seth3221 New Member

State:
    NC
    Congrats on a good day of fishing. My buddy and I have been wanting to fish that area for a wile now. Next time you go out let me know and i'll hook up the boat and be on the way. Again congrats on a great day of fishing.

6. Cathunter Pete

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Seth let me kow when you want to go out and I'll try to go out with you.

7. justbfishin

justbfishin New Member

State:
    Hope Mills
    Hey guys, I'd love to join you on a trip if you didn't mind. I've got a boat as well. I've just started catfishing about 6 months ago but I havn't landed one yet. Me and a buddy have been out about 8 times so far. We've tried spots from Riverside all the way to down to Rockfish Creek. We have used both live and cut eel as well as minnows that I caught in my net. I've used one or two live bream but can't catch them regularly.

I got a bite last time out with a live eel. It took the bait out to the middle of the river but I didn't hook him. That was at the mouth of Rockfish Creek back in November after that big rain and the river was really really high. I think it's about that high now too.

Looking forward to hearing what kind of luck others have in this stretch of the river. Hope I can join you guys fishing soon.

Brandon

8. Cathunter Pete

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Sounds good BrandonI don't have any issues with you coming out with me. Personally I haven't had any luck when the river is above 12.5 feet. I've always had my best fishing when the river is between 9.5 and 11 feet. Eels are the my bait of choice, I usually fish above Riverside, however I have gone below riverside a few times. Rockfish is a good place from what I hear, I've fished it twice before with no luck, but others do catch a lot of cats out of that general area. I plan on getting out as soon as the river lowers to 11 or 12 feet.

9. seth3221

seth3221 New Member

State:
    NC
    Cathunter I sent you a PM. No problem with another boat on my end. Mine is a 1448 so I can put 3 men in mine with no trouble. We will figure out a day and put the drinks and eels on ice.

10. justbfishin

justbfishin New Member

State:
    Hope Mills
    Sounds good guys. We'll have to keep an eye out for a warm weekend over the next few weeks if the water level ever comes down and see if we can set something up.

Hey Cathunter, how far north of Riverside do you usually go? I've been up just a little ways, to where the power plant is or whatever on the left, but never had any luck there. I've heard it gets rocky on further up but I'm not sure how far up.

11. Cathunter Pete

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    I fish the whole way up to the 295 bridge. The place your talking about is the Water Output, there is an Intake about 1.5 miles above there past the railroad trussles on the left. I've had good luck from the train trussles up, and a few spots below the train trussles, my PB was 47lb Flattie below that water output off an eel two years ago. The water level gets to around 4-5 feet from behind Methodist to the 295 bridge. There isn't too many rocks there are logs to look out for. On the other side of the 295 bridge is where it gets rocky and you can't take an outboard through there without messing it up.

12. Flatheadhunter94

Flatheadhunter94 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Was that at rockfish creek where camp rockfish is? I live right there near rockfish creek about a mile away a few good fish there alot of carp i had a nice channel or blue there over the summer it was about 20lbs.

13. justbfishin

justbfishin New Member

State:
    Hope Mills
    I'm not sure if it was near a camp, but I fish right where the creek meets the river. I haven't caught anything there yet, but it looks like the best place to fish in that stretch of the river.

14. Flatheadhunter94

State:
    North Caro
    Is it near hopemills and camden road? Or by rockfish?

15. justbfishin

justbfishin New Member

State:
    Hope Mills

It's not near any road. It's on the cape fear river. The closest road is I-95 which crosses over the river about a mile before you get to where rockfish creek and the cape fear meet, but you can only get to this by boat.

16. Flatheadhunter94

State:
    North Caro
    Yea its probaly the same river though because thats the only river I'v ever heard of named that in nc and if its near Fayetteville and stuff.