Catfishing Equipment help!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by shield64k, May 24, 2006.

1. shield64k

shield64k New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ive been getting into catfishing lately. So I need some new equipemnt.

Last year I through out my pelvis pretty bad. Don't ask how ;) well I can't walk the bank's of ponds any more so my new love is catfishing.

I'd like to get a ugly stick with a open face reel and some good line. I would like to keep it <$100 if at all possible. But I don't know exactly what to buy. I fish from shore and we got channel and flatheads around here. Hope you guys can help.

-Bill

2. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    abu garcia reel all the way man 7 foot ugly cat rod 25 pound triline catfish line ull be set for the hawgs then

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Keeping it under a hundred bucks, no problem. Okuma makes some great affordible reels. Match it with a Ugly stick and your on your way. I hope you catch some biguns!

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i recommend puttinf a penn 209 on the white ugly catfish the grand total will be under 100.00 or even look on ebay u can get good reels for cheap i hope this helps

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The 209 is definitely a good reel, but IMO, you'll get better casting distance with a Penn Jigmaster 500. From what I've seen, they only run about $10 more than the 209 on ebay. The 209 has a levelwind; the Jigmaster doesn't.

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    There is an ugly stick catfish spinning combo for about $40...it's not bad for starters. A lot of people on here are die hard baitcasters.

7. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I just got a rig from Catfish Connection for my grand son, A big ugly water rod ,tide water fre runner and some Cajun red line for like 85 bucks.

SE YOU ON THE FISH BANK SOME TIME

8. shield64k

shield64k New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the replies.

How is a spinner and baitcaster different? I see the physical difference, but is there any in casting etc?

-Bill

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You might also look at places like Bass Pro and Academy for matched sets on sale... the pole is matched to the reel and line. May be a better purchase at this point for a novice and as your experience builds you can add to your equipment. Primary difference between a spinning reel and a bait casting reel is the spool the line is on. On a spinning reel the spool is stationary and the line "spins" off the open end. On a baitcasting reel, the spool itself revolves. The spinning reel generally gives a slight edge to distance, and the school is out on the difference in "muscle" between a spinning reel and baitcaster. The baitcaster is more difficult to master than the spinning reel. Thats about it in a nutshell. Oh, spinning reels are generally cheaper than baitcasters, but then some fords cost more than cadilacs too.