Catfishing equipment and how to rig my boat

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Rev Geins, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Rev Geins

Rev Geins New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Ok I have another question. And remember I am new so don't laugh at my lack of knowledge. LOL.
    Because of not owning a boat before now I have only fished from a boat a couple times a year with guys from church.

Boat equipment: I have boat, 5 hp motor, trolling motor, life jackets, and oar. I know I need a fish finder. What else do I need?

Fishing equipment: what is best when fishing for cats from a boat? Line, hook, or rod size? Or do I use the same as when I am fishing from the bank? I have read some on here about bait but any help there would be helpful.

I don't want to sound like I don't know anything about fishing. I do fish. It just usually from the bank. And when I have been in a boat it has been crappie or bass fishing. I just like to fish and want to make sure I got what I need. I can tell by ready this site you guys know what you are doing.

Thanks again!

Rev Geins

2. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Ii sent you a private message with some ideas to think about. Let me know what you think...
    Jonathan

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    That will depend on what you are fishing with now and what you are targeting. If you are targeting big catfish such as in the 50 to 100 lb range you will need heavy rods and line and hooks etc to land them.

Some guys use longer rods from the bank to help them cast further to where they need to get the bait to where the big cats hang out where they fish. Most will go to a shorter but heavy rod when fishing from a boat because there is no need to have to cast as far when you can get the boat where you need to be. The acception to that is if you are fishing below a dam and you want to cast as close to the dam as possible a longer rod will help you close the distance better than a short rod.

A Good rod in either a med/heavy to heavy is best. There are tons of options out there as far as brands of rods. Some of it is just what you prefer to use as far as baitcasting or spinning styles but a good heavy or med/heavy rod is what you will need.

As far as length goes... with a small boat like you have I don't think you will be fishing below or near a dam so I would think that a one piece 7 to 8 foot rod will be what you need if in the bait casting style.

If you fish with bait casters a lot of the catfishermen prefer the abu garcia 6500 or 7000 series reels. I use a shakespear tidewater 30L. It is a big saltwater type reel that has a lot of line capacity and strength and it is very inexpensive but a very tough reel.

If you fish with a bait caster I would put a braided line on it. With a braided line you can cast easier and further than with mono and you can get more of the line on your reel due to the smaller diameter of the line.

Hope all this helps.

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    John just go out and use what you have and upgrade as you feel you need to. I use abu garcias with 30 lb. cajun line with #8 circle hooks. you will prob find that you will get as many diff combinations as there are people on here about what they use, but I am sure none of them found what they like on the first try. people are always upgrading their equipment. the best advice I ever got when it came to fishing was try to learn something new every time you go.

5. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    i think ronalds dead on, i got a boat this past feb and was trying to figure out what to bye and such. i started with 3 rods(not to good of quality) now ive built up to 7 with 3 being penn and a abu, also had to build up holders. youll figure out as you go along, every trip youll learn more. i think every trip is valuable as long as you make the most of it(pay attention to little things, alot of times they help to figure out patterns). personally id say try to get good quality to begin with but there are good products that arnt expensive, like attwood rod holders 13$ with the mount at wal-mart vs driftmasters for 16$ without the mount(additional 5$),ask around and you should save yourself time and money. ive had good luck with e-bay for reels, i also check local classified ads. theres a old saying, the 2 best days of owning a boat are the day you get it and the day you sell it:wink:.

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I would most definatley go with driftmaster rod holders, the lil dou gives you 2 options on rod angles, just not sure I want to trust my rods to a plastic rod holder. plastic breaks easier than steel. as far as the mounting bases they are easy to make. all you need is a piece of aluminum a tap and a drill.

7. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Rev, make sure you have a fire extinguisher and a noise-making device (whistle or air horn) on that boat. If you don't, DNR will have a field day with you.

8. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    attwood are steel, the mounts are better and there alot cheaper( you can get 2 for the price of one duo), if you want names bye drift master if you want a good rod holder but dont have to have the name try attwood, and they come with mounts no need to make anything(who wants to bye a new rodholder and then make a mount:roll_eyes:) . my 2 cents

9. Rev Geins

Rev Geins New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks guys all this is helpful!

10. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Just remember guys,the driftmasters are made right here in SOUTH CAROLINA.Guaranteed for life against breakage.:wink:

11. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Rev, Academy Sports in Spartanburg has a rod holder with bases that look exactly like Driftmasters for $5.99 each. They are dipped and everything. I have 8 of them on my boat and have had good luck with them so far. They are very well made from 3\8" stainless steel. The angle was not as great as I wanted, so I used a vise and piece of pipe to increase the angle from 5 degrees to 30 degrees.

Academy is also the cheapest place I've found for drift socks if you plan to drift fish. They run about $15 for a 36 inch version and cheaper for the 24 inchers. I run a 24 inch front and back to keep me square with the wind and the 36 incher in the middle of the boat if I need to slow down. ( I drift sideways ).

I started out with minimal equipment, 5 gallon buckets for drift socks, bass rods and home made rod holders and slowly replaced my junk with better equipment. Funny thing is I caught a lot of fish with equipment, rods and reels that I now think are not good enough. My personal best was on home made rod holders, too small of a rod and reel, too small of a hook and too light of a line. Go figure.

I see the Rev. in your name. I am a preacher myself and will be starting as pastor of Roebuck Community Chappel this Sunday. Be in prayer for us.

God Bless All,
    Steve

12. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    what do you mean using non-driftmaster holders:confused2:, dont you know nothing else will work youve gotta use driftmaster:roll_eyes:. i guess fishings like everything else if you dont have the namebrand overpriced stuff then you cant do it right, lmao

13. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Rev, no fire extinguisher is necessary, but a noise maker is.......!

Boats 16' and up and boats with a built in gas tank have to have an extinguisher. Also, someone else mentioned a throw float. Once again not mandatory for your small craft. Probably a good idea though......you can use it as a seat cushion.:wink:

14. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Ha! ain't that the truth. We used to catch more and bigger fish here on Hartwell before we screwed up and got a good depth finder. Know we can't find them!

Good luck with the church Steve.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Rev good luck it took me two yrs to get it on the way I want it ....Fishing where I do It can get lill trickey so I try to keep all of my gear in the same spot and everyone in the boat knows it to....I tend to carry alot of extra equiptment to we can go from cattin to gillin in the blink of a eye....Id say look in the library and see what everyone else has giong on theres lot of great minds workin hard in there!....GONNA BE ALOT OF TRIAL & ERROR GOOD LUCK!

16. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Bambu,I didnt mean to sound like the driftmasters was the only rod holder and you had to have em to catch fish.I just posted that they were made in SC beacuse some folks would pay a little extra to buy something that is made here in SC. I am one of those many folks whose good ol job that use to be here is now in a third world country.I know some guys are brand loyal(I am sale brand loyal on colas,if coke is on sale I buy coke,if pepsi is on sale,well,I buy pepsi)I would consider the attwood a name brand,with all the products they make for boating.I got a couple of the ancor wheel lift things and love em.Another brand of good holders that has all the same styles as the two mentioned is santee rod holders,not sure of the price range,I saw them in a booth at a fishing show.Once again,sorry if I offended you with my post,you probally have caught way more fish than I have.I have a few homemade rod holders so they definately dont fall in the name brand catagory.sam

17. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    no problem. no offense taken:smile2:. i also try to support local business when i can but i had to bye 6 rod holders and couldnt afford driftmasters, i like them have friends that fish them and if i had the money id buy them, but i dont. it seemed to me that if the man had tons of money to drop he would have a nicer boat(no offense, if it floats it works:wink:) so i tried to help as i could. sometimes people on here remind me of high school, if you dont have the namebrand your not cool:roll_eyes:(personally i grew out of that along time ago) or if you dont use a certain kinda reel(abu) then your using junk. the biggest cat ive caught was 26# on a zebco 33, no problem although i wont make this a regular practice. thanks for the info on santee holders i'll have to check them out.

18. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Bambu,extremefishingconcepts.com ( I think thats it)website has the santee brand products.I'll agree on the equipment deal,the north carolina state record channel catfish was caught on a "barbie" kids reel,,no joke,I read it in the paper and saw it on the net.I fished this morning and caught a little bit of fish and a big dose of the WIND,3 blues and 4 striper

19. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
  20. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    wateree