Catfishing during the day

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by yumacats, Sep 2, 2008.

1. yumacats

yumacats New Member

State:
    arizona
    I always hear of people catching big fish at night. What is the best method to catch them during the middle of the day? What baits work best? What kind of weather conditions are best? What area in Yuma has good fishing during the middle of the day?

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mark, You have a canal system there don't you? I used to fish over near El Centro as a kid a lot. Actually we fished just about everywhere in the Imperial Valley. But during the day we used to catch lot's of catfish under low bridges. Now back then we used to be looking for mostly eating size channel cats. 2 to 5 lbers. But I don't see why you could do the same for bigger fish. Letting your bait roll under the moss beds is a good way to find them too. Or at least it was for us. Been many years since I was there. Hope this helps some.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    What's up Mark?! Welcome to the BOC!! Finding cats during the day is hard work in my opinion. You have to find their structure that they stay on. I've heard of guys finding them in deepest holes that are right around bridges etc... I have not had any luck at all during the day for anything but bluegill and other bait fish. Im sure you'll get some hits here to point you in the right direction. Welcome again, it's good to see you on here! See ya at work tomorrow:roll_eyes:.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi,
    I've had luck floating cut bait off a bobber down the main channel, for channels, during the middle of the day,,, just keep it bouncing off the bottom and moving slowly,, try a lot of different spots,,
    Under the bridges I've caught small and large mouth bass(keepers), blue gill and channels all during the day..

5. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome to the BOC. There is a wealth of knowledge here, and it takes some of the sting off when you wish you were fishing. Good Luck!

6. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hi Mark, it is nice to see another fisherman from the Yuma area, welcome.

I have not had a lot of success during the day, I am talking around noon during the summer, catch a few here and there, mostly on nightcrawlers. But once the sun starts to go down I get out there and try any old spot, seems like any place with moving water is good. I don't have a favorite spot yet so I just trow a line anywhere in the river.

7. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    As far as big fish go espesially flatheads,you want to fish at night.I usually fish all night when looking for big flatheads.
    However I have caught some fish up to 26lbs waiting for the darkness to fall.This specimin was caught and relesed on the alamo river in Imperial valley .http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/woodchucker/100_0116good.jpg?t=1220641992
    If I was to try and target them in the day though I would fish under any bridges,Im sure they hang there waiting for night.I have had limited succes with this method but only for small fish...truthfully,trying to fish these big dudes in the day would wear me out in this heat.May acctually be more and harder work than fishing at night.Good luck

8. yumacats

yumacats New Member

State:
    arizona
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me any spots I could access to find some catfish this weekend. I want to go out and find some fish.

9. david.lay25

david.lay25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    flat heads will hit anytime of day , sometimes more at daytime cuz they can see the live bait better , but if your fishing for channel cat dusk to dark is better or verry early morning

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hey Mark,
    Dont worry bro we'll get out there for sure. Once I get checked in over at 513, I'm going to free up some time to hit it hard, even during WTI. I can show you a few spots but you'll be sworn to secrecy!

11. yumacats

yumacats New Member

State:
    arizona
    Alright, Ill be ready to go