catfishing drag

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Kaijukorner, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Kaijukorner

Kaijukorner New Member

State:
    La Vergne, Tenn
    How high should I set my drag for channel cat fishing? I have got a thousand bites but caught nothing. Maybe I had it set to high and they couldn't run with it.

2. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    :confused2::smile2::tounge_out::smile2::confused2:

3. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    When I set my drag it will be set for about a 5lb strength of pull maybe a little less..But catching catfish would depend on size of hook and the kind of hook and could be many different things but try some circle hooks.To begin with a small hook like 3/0 4/0 and so on depending on the size of fish you are looking to catch.

Then it could be you are fishing at a bluegill hole when you are looking for catfish.

are you in a boat or fishing from the bank?are you in a lake or fishing in a river,this could be something to consider
    hope this helps

4. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    If your just fishing for channels you should try using a small treble hook.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Got mine set to about the 12lb strength pull.

6. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Welcome to the BOC Chris.

It's recommended that you set the drag to 1/3 of the line's breaking strength; I don't have a scale so I just guess at it. I don't think drag setting makes much difference as long as your line won't break, or am I missing something?

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you don't have a clicker and you are using your drag as a make shift clicker so they can run with it I would set your drag as loose as you can without getting a birds nest when they run with it. Give your line a good jerk and just make sure the line stays neat but they can take line easily. If you are getting a run make sure to tighten back up before the hook set.

8. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I set mine at about half the line strength. I doubt the drag setting has anything to do with your not hooking the fish. It could be hook size, how the bait is on the hook, or even smaller fish just picking at it and dropping the bait. I get a lot of bites that are probably only chubs or fallfish. They tend to grab and pick at the bait and end up stealing it around the hook. They can even more a rod and still not take the hook. Every cat I've caught pretty much messes a little then just takes off with it. When my clicker starts buzzing away, it's a pretty good sign I'll have a great chance of a catch. I'm doing better with a general purpose Mustard or a Gama Octopus hook than I am with circles.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    with me my first consideration is what kind of hook am i using.

10. Kaijukorner

Kaijukorner New Member

State:
    La Vergne, Tenn
    I am fishing from the bank or in a fish cat float tube at Percy Priest lake in TN. I have tried several rigs and hooks since this is my first season fishing for cats in around 6 or 7 yrs. i have mainly tried khale or circle hooks with chicken livers, worms, hot dogs, and skip jack. hooks are sizes 3 to 5 and I kinda tried a treble. it turned out my drag was almost all the way up. I think my 4yr old did it cuz he was looking at my pole. I am going to try a carolina rig next trip. I did on the other hand catch a small rock bass on accident on liver. had no idea he was on. Plus my oldest son caught his first fish at the percy dam.....a baby bass.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....Maybe I had it set to high and they couldn't run with it...."

Not sure why you want them to "run with it".

Use circle hooks, put the rod in a good holder, let them set themselves, and stop the game playing with clickers and running fish.

12. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas

My thoughts exactly

13. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I'm glad to see that you have your kids into fishing...that is improtant.:cool2:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  14. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use spinning rods and reels and twenty pound braid line. the rods that are baited for channel cats have the drag set at three pounds. Tie on a three pound weight, set the drag on high then pick the weight up off the floor. Back off one click at a time until the weight"SLOWLY" slips down. Repeat it again until you are sure of the setting. Mark the drag and the reel so you can always return to the setting. The drag on my flat head reels are set at five pounds.

The rod is set in a holder and the catfish hits, if it is a big cat the drag will slip and keep the line tight. Since I started using rod holders, non-streach line and circle hooks I miss very few fish.

I agree forget the "Let-em run with it" game.

15. Skunko!

Skunko! fishless since 2012

State:
    Arizona
    If fishing for channels, use 50 lb test and crank that drag all the way down. Then youll know if theyre on or not.

16. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    2009,, Wow,, I would hope he has it figured out by now!!!
    :O_o:
    PJ

17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    My Abu reels are 12 pound drag , I usually dont lower it at all since the min. pound line I use is 20 . My Omoto reels have a 19 pound drag which I run the same way . I also use a 5/0 circle hook to let the fish hang them selves . It works pretty good for me . I target channels 95% of the time , oh the rods are MH action . I fish the same way no matter what waters I am at . Have caught 5 inch channels to 26 pound channels on the same set up usually never miss the hit .

When I get them nibblers pecking my bait to death and it seems there is no chance at catching the little peckers , I throw to a different spot or move to another area . Those nibblers drive me crazy , I figure it is something else besides a catfish anyway .