Catfishing - Does this place sound good to you?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fat_fish55, Mar 22, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey right off the main channel of the mighty mississip there is a cut-through to a bay , it goes from round 10 feet to 30+feet in a hurry stays like that for about 20 yards then slants back up,

i figured the cats would be stacked in here and so far no fish outa 2-3 tries , course i havnt been hitting them anywhere

does this look like it would hold cats to you guys?

2. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Fat fish I would think yer on to somthin.Here in Ok I catch a lot of blues on drop off's like that.Do ya have any idea what the bottom is like?mud,rocks,structure etc..I'd throw everythin at em and try different rigs too:cool:

3. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    If we go there tomorrow KC i'll swim down to the bottom to see what kind of structors are down there. LOL

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Sounds like a good place once the water starts to warm up and they start moving. But not really being able to see it I don't know. But if there is structure I would start there.

5. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like a good spot to me there are usually always cats holding in holes like that. Try fishing both sides of the hole, front, back, middle, etc. Just make sure you have tried fishing every angle and using different types of bait to target different fish. Give it a few more times of tryin and then maybe come back in the summer, spring, and different times of the year. If I see something like that I just dont give up on it Ill remember it and try it at different times with different setups, etc. Good luck man!

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Another thought, why don't you check that hole the first time the water gets up on the river? The bigger fish don't always head for the sloughs like the smaler fish will. They'll sometimes hole up in deeper holes like that, lay around and just get fat during the high water conditions. Might check it out.... just an idea.

jerrod

7. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i would fish it myself. one place i fish there is a nice hole like that and its loaded with fish.

8. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I agree with everyone, high water, structure, and use some natural bait, u will catch some big ones if their in that hole. Remeber use the current, cast up and let it come down into the hole.. ;)

9. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    I've been there with Fatfish and caught nothing and been there with my girlfriends dad and caught a lot. The main difference though was the time of the year. When I caught em it was warm and we went when it was cold, so once it warms up a bit they'll be there :rock-big:

10. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Your crazy dude !!!! Heck it's too cold to swim here in Texas much less up there were y'all are at !!!
    Sounds like a good place to fish to me...