Catfishing Dialogs?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishrollo, Jan 26, 2010.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In consideration of Kip's moon phase thread for flatheads, who else keeps a seasonal dialog of flatheads caught? I have been doing this for a few years now, and love it! I keep a spreadsheet on such catagories from date caught, time caught, fish weight, water temp, moon phase, bait caught on, water depth, water clarity, method of fishing ( 3-way bottom rig, slip-float suspended etc.) river or lake water level stage, system fished, location fish caught on waterway, weather pattern, air temp. Sounds like alot, but when you setup a spreadsheet on Excel into different catagories, its actually easy to keep a running log throughout the year. Just an idea for those that have never considered doing this. It's pretty neat to print them off, placing them in a folder to be able to sit down and review year to year to look for such patterns.. Goodluck....rollo

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve got log books from the last 15 years.Not on computer,just hand written in note books.It only takes a couple years worth before they start becoming invaluable.It,s amazing,the stuff you think you,re not gonna forget,then you look back through at the end of the year and it all comes back to ya!I keep day and date I fished,time I fished,water conditions(temp,color,river stage,how fast),who I fished with,how everybody did,baits used,method used,how others around us did.I also put down anything that was unusal that happened.Best thing a newcomer to catfish could start doing.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010

3. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hey, Rollo......... When does it all get to be just "too much" ? I appreciate the fact that some people are really super into whatever hobby they choose, but man, when do guys like that ever find time to make children ? Must do it in your sleep or somethin'.......
    Anyway what I'm gettin at is when does pure enjoyment become a job or an obcession ?
    Whatever happened to taking a few worms and a kid and just wetting a line for a while? Or at least until ya felt like throwin the kid in for bait.......
    I used to love playin with model trains, but like everything else in this world it's become so dang technical ya need 6 college degrees to turn one of 'em on and just watch it run around in a circle.
    I learned to fish as a young kid an even with all the technicalities, electronics and blog page fishin' lies, I still prefer the old way of reading Mother Nature and tossin the line in wherever ya think you best bet might be on any given day.

4. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    No disrespect man, Im speaking for myself, I Love to fish for flatheads and that is about my only hobby. I feel that if you want to stay ahead of the game and be sucessful and actually be great at it you have to go the extra mile. I agree with Rollo and i also agree with you but I want to strive to be the best at anything I do and it just happens to be flathead fishing, I understand what your saying about keeping the fum in it, but to me this is fun and enjoyable! And I usually make the babies after a sucessful Flathead Trip!LOL! :highfive:

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I think I take the best of both,, and,, while I try and target the largest fish I think I can find,, I always remember it's just fishing, and it kinda helps me keep one foot on the bank,,,
    One of our members here on this site, has a signature that says some thing like,,

"fisherman try and not make the same mistake twice,, instead, they try and come with new, and exciting mistakes,," LOL

so, keeping it in perspective for me,, is part of the "Foolishness of Fishing",,, which I dearly enjoy....

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Thanks Cecil.I knew there was a reason why I never had no kids!:rolleyes:

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to fish 3-5 nights a week. Getting married, and having two young kids, im lucky to get out once a weekend at best now. But, how difficult is it to keep a diary in your spare time of a recent night out? Takes less than 5 minutes of my time to log on, plot the catch and info. in and hit save. Pretty neat in my opinion to be able to review not only for learning purposes/ but to look back a year or two . You are right about fishing for pure enjoyment though. Thats mainly where im at nowdays. I don't spend the time on the water a season to worry about how many or what I catch. Most know, flatheads and big ones at that are caught from being persistent. I just enjoy trips out with friends and hope for the best. But at the same time, I am still always thinking, rather than just driving to a conveinent spot, a throwing a couple lines in a bum area. Guess to make it simple, for the time I do get to go, I wanna still better my odds of catching, and possibly a good fish at that. rollo

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I don't need to keep a dialogue.

I just stick to my cardinal rule, Stay home during the full moo:cute:n.

9. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I do not keep info wrote down But say i will this year .I was thinking Rollo would share all this papers with me.Guess not.lol I always think that its all in my head stored.but its not .last year was a bad year for me an flatheads.an bait fish Small mouth.couldnt catch a fish .Well this year i want to chart some stuff down.for a piecie of info .so on fishless nights i may beable to look at past papers .to see what im doing wrong.
    Rollo GIve me all your secert spots.So dont have fish less nights.lol:terror:

10. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    An i still say im not in to whys an why nots.I just put on a bait an wait .an injoy the time on water with my fishing buddie of the night.:good::monkey:

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just watch what the rest of you are doing, that way I know I'm a day late! lol :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wish I caught fish every trip out. lmao.. As much as you fish a summer Randy, I think you would really enjoy keeping a log on your trips, and fish caught each season. rollo

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats funny right there Jack!!! LMAO! rollo

14. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do they make software for the computer, where you just fill in the blanks about the fishing trip? You could look at your past trips or print it out, I would buy it.

15. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I think old Rollo just whipped up his own little spread sheet thing........whatever that is. I ain't got the foggiest idea how ya' do it, but I've heard a few geeky folks mention it from time to time.
    Anyway, Rollo, old boy, I didn't intend to set off a diplomatic discussion on your post. I just intended to needle ya' a little bit. We live in two different worlds. I may be a bit envious of yours, since you got a nice young lady to slap ya around once in a while and all I got is and old fat cranky disabled one that bitches the whole time she's in the boat after I done all the work to get her there and lucky if I get to fish a whole hour the whole damn trip.
    Maybe I should start one 'o them there blog things about fat old cranky women, But I don't know what they are either and the old bat has got too much stuff around here to go up-side my head with if she caught me at it. :rotfl:

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
  17. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I'm going to start logging my trips this year. I would like to just see the data from my trips. It couldn't hurt. I need anything that can possibly make my trips more successful.

18. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I fish for fun and food. If I catch a big one great if I catch a small one that's great too. At this time in my life I want to relax and enjoy my family and friends when I fish. Where I fish I know about where the fish should be (Where I have caught them consistently before) so I go to those spots. I just think IMHO that keeping record will make it seem like work. If I catch one over 12-15 lbs we just take a picture and release it. I would rather catch a bunch of small fish (2-3lbs) than one 20-30lbs. Now this is just me. When I take a friend with me I always try to put them on a big fish. Sometimes I do , sometimes I don't.

19. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    yeah,i use to keep one.for 5 or 6 years i kept a detailed log.well i figured out on a new moon i caught a lot more and bigger fish.and i learned the holes that held the fish year after year.i learned alot in those years,til i took a friend,me in my boat him in his.well he had never been there before,no electronics or anything.well i told him where to go,he missed the spot by 300 yards.when i came down the river an seen him in the wrong spot i felt bad (because i'd never caught a fish there),til he showed me his fish,he had 12 flats between 10 and 30 lbs. all i had was 1 fish at 24 lbs. So apperantly the fish never read my logs,so no more logs for me.

20. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i started keepin a small log last year, hope i start to notice some sort of pattern in a few years with the moon phase and such.