Catfishing Cape Fear River in North Carolina?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by miichael, May 11, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I live in Hickory, NC and have been to cape fear 1 time when the water was up and couldn't even hardly catch a brim. caught a few cat fishing nothing big no Flatheads. I'm wanting to plan a trip to come back down but i want to catch some big fish. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? The place i put in was in fayetteville where 95 crosses 87 i turned down that road and there was a boat landing out there that didn't have a dock or anything. I went back down river under the bridge to where a river/big creek came into cape fear on my right. Not sure but think it was rock fish creek by looking at map. Is this a good place to fish? whats the best bait to use? heard eel works great. I want to come down and catch some 20-40 lb cats.

2. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Heading to the wildlife area in Lillington in a few mintues. Will give you a report this afternoon.

3. CATCPA

CATCPA New Member

State:
    NC
    Put in at lock #3 and fish toward Elizabethtown. Lots of good holes. Better yet go to Etown and put in at Tory Hole and fish upriver. Either on of those is better tha the section you were fishing. Eel is the ticket for the blues

4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    where is lock 3 at? i know nothing about the town. do u have a map?

5. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    miichael check out google earth it's awesome it will show you the sharp river bends...those usually hold fish, if you pay the extra money you can zoom in to see the ramps and how to access them......

OPINION: stay away from below lock and dam 3 Elizabethtown....granted there are some big fish but they also shock down there (Bladen County) and they take EVERYTHING THEY SHOCK UP!!!!

THE SHOCKING also screws up the fishing for about 12 hours...

6. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Do you use the eels live? I have been to Riverside Bait & Tackle and they have them there. What outfit do you suggest I use (I have many kinds)? What other baits are good to try (cut bluegill, live bluegill, nightcrawlers, ect.)?

Thanks,
    Bread

7. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the fishing is getting better down here. getting to hot for those idiots to shoick now. i use eels when i do fish. either cut or whoile put on a 3 way rig and use it that way. hey john getting moneis from insurance company soon for stuff so fishing will be back up by july so lets all plan something for then. if need any info on cape fear im me i be hapy to help

8. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    glad to hear everything getting back into swing for you joe

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Yea I was wandering about you Joe..

Hows the injuries....

We were thinking about hitting Torry hole.... I don't know if thats how you spell it right above lock and dam#2.

bait of choice: fresh cut bleeeeeeeding bait!!!!!!

10. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Will some cut bluegills work good in the Cape Fear? For you guys who fish it, what is the average size of cats in the river? Thanks.

11. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Cut blue gills will work but if you can keep them alive do that for the big flatties and blues.....sizes range from 1-3 lber's (but not below lock and dam #2 shocking has about wiped out the population of cats in that area)....all the way up to 60+ lbs...the typical weight range we usually catch are between 10-30 lbs. respectively.

12. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Alright,thanks.

13. dunno

dunno New Member

State:
    nc
    bigblaze, do you fish for the bluegills with a rod n reel. Or do you use a castnet?

Also how do eels work?

14. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have caught cats up to 76 lbs with a small cut piece of eel and you must catch bluegill with rod and reel. if game boys catch you with them in net and you keep you looking for a ticket. you can im me and i give you all the info i caa.

15. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    you have to catch them with hook and line or it is illegal to use them as bait.

16. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    micheal anywhere on that river is a good spot.I have been fishing that river ever since i could walk. I put in at riverside more often then not.I have had better luck up river this year useing cut eel.I have found that useing that eel for cut bait the best partsto use is about 2 inch cuts.I never use the tail iuse thehead all the way down to were the tail starts (get all theguts and stuff) i willuse a peaice for about 45 mins or so if i dont get anything i put a fresh peice on.If you put in a riverside go up stream till you get to a rail road track the goes over the river below that for about a 100 yards i have been slayin them there.theres alot of hang ups tho but there are soem monsters there too . i watched a couple of my freinds on 2 diff ocasian have there lines snaped while fighting some big ones there even me too.Its a great spot for flatties. i caught my frist flattie of my life there a 10 ponder on cut eel this year. good luck

17. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    yep dunno, navigator is correct you have to catch the bluegill on rod and reel...now there has been allot of debate but as far as i can read into the regulations you can catch bluegills from other lakes and ponds and take them to the river to use... watch the regulations cause it also states that a game fish can not be unnecessarily destroyed (cutting the heads or tails off). I think there is enough gray area that the laws are open for interpretation.

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The best way to know especially in those gray areas is to talk to the warden that covers the area. He is going to enforce it as he reads it.
    I've had 2 different wardens give me totally different answers to a question before.

It is fact that you have to catch them on rod and reel.
    Anytime I fish with live bream I ALWAYS carry an ultralight rig with me so that there is no question about how I could have caught my bream.
    Even though he didnt see me catch the bream he can see I have the capability to catch them.
    Never had a warden check my bream for hook marks. Kinda hard to tell if a #8 bream hook has been stuck in him and I'd argue that all the way to the supreme court.
    I've also been told I can catch bream at home and carry to other places to fish live or cut as long as those fish are already in that body of water.