Catfishing can pay

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Rockin' Blues, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    There's an article in the saturday Post dispatch that reads-Those that love to catfish whether for the love of a good fight or for a much anticipated fish-fry,will have even more reason this summer to head for a favorite lake or stream.In the years past,MDC had tagged more than 6,ooo blues and channel catfish combined with small oval 'dangler' tags that successful anglers could turn in for either $25 or $50.Now MDC has given anglers even more incentive to go fishing: catfish equipped with tags worth $150 to those who call the number listed on the tag with information about how,where and when the catfish was caught as well as the fish's lenght.Anglers dont have to keep the catfish to claim the reward.Simply clip off the tag and send to the address listed on the tag.Not only will both groups of anglers receive their rewards,they'll also find out where the fish was tagged and when.The "dangler" tags have been attached just under the dorsal fin.Tagged catfish are swimming in Truman Reservoir and parts of the Fabius,Gasconade,Grand,Lamine,Marmaton,Platte and South Grand rivers,the upper Mississippi River near Hannibal and the Missouri River around the mouth of the Platte,Grand,Lamine and Gasconade rivers.Good luck,that $150 would be nice.:smile2:

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    That would help buy some gas for the boat!

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I thank it cost me $25 for each fish I get. This year I am over budget are that is what my wife said. She thanks the fishfinder was to much, so I take her shoping and now she happy.LOL.:lol:

4. hardtime

hardtime New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So I can tell the wife I'm going to work? I mean it could pay???

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I used to be a REAL AMATUER when it came to cost per fish.

Now that I bought a boat I can really dole out that cash for each fish.

Am I a professional fisherman yet?

6. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    And it gets worse. The thing next less expensive than BUYING a boat is MAINTAINING a boat. I have a 91 that has been paid off for years. It is in fantastic shape too. But, I probably pay $1,500 per year to fix, replace, or add to what it needs.

What ever happened to a hook, yarn, a cork, and a bamboo stick?

CP

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I built a database in Access to track all my fishing trips and catches. It's really depressing to realize that last year, which was my best so far, I was only catching like .95 lbs of fish per hour fished and that almost-pound of fish was WAY more expensive than just buying it. I've since done the only logical thing and stopped tracking that stuff....:big_smile:

8. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would be happy to just catch a fish, But one with a money tag would be cool. I need a new fishin pole. I had a weak moment and traded one of my best poles for a pistol. What was I thinkin?:crazy:

9. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I use the same Access program to track my fishing and had the same .95 "weight to hour" ratio back in 2004.

That is, until I created a new entry in my Access file titled "Dynamite Stick". Since then, I have gone up from .95 lbs per hour to 4 lb of fish, 1 tire, and 1 beaver pelt per hour fished.

My next spreadsheet will be titled "Gill Net".

:)

CP

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Real Smart move there Brother.It could even get Worse If the Wife had gotten into the data base and actually seen just how mutch them Cat's were really costing. You done the Right thing!!! LOL. J.D.:cool2:

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What I want to know,is what was you thinking when you put that goofy looking hat on,that you're wearing in your Avatar?LOL

12. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry if this getting off topic. That is my motivational hat. Until I catch a fish worth posting I will continue the public humiliation of the hat wearing avatar. I hope they start bitin' soon! LOL:angry:

13. muleskinner78

muleskinner78 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have caught one flathead with a tag. A Buddy of mine caught a tagged fish too he has got his results back the flathead was tagged around Jefferson city in a small river we never herd of. The fish was caught in the chariton river near novinger. That fish traveled quite a distance in a year.