Catfishing burn out

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jun 21, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    reasons, I dont like catfishing anymore, and feel I am getting burned out.

1- crowds, our waters are filled to the breaking point with people catfishing, it has become so popular, finding a bank spot to fish is hard, to impossible, and you wont have a stretch of water to yourself, I like it more 10-15 years ago, when no one was flathead fishing, I had the river to myself at night..Fishing for trophy flatheads in my opnion has become to popular.

2- Fishing seems to much like work anymore, all the preperation, carrying tackle, catching bait, the heat, the bugs, the mud, It used to love it all, not anymore, maybe it's age.

3- Boredom, I used to be able to set for hours at a flathead spot wating for a fish, now if I dont have action withing 30 minutes I am thinking why do I do this and I want to leave...I also dont even want to pack up my gear, I want to just leave it all there..

4- catching big flatheads, Before I started catching big flatheads I just like to go fishing, now if I dont catch a 40-lb fish, the trip is a waste.
    Kinda like hunting, I used to love to squirrel hunt, but once I shot my first deer, BIG GAME, i forgot about squirrel hunting...Now I dont hunt at all.

If things dont change, this may be my last year, I can only see myself fishing a few more times this year

2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Man I sorry you feel that way.Take you a little break for awhile and looked for some spots that are less fished by others.I went to the same thing once but got back into it.Once you hook into that next big fish or pb that boost that you need to stick with it.Trust me there have been days when i thought about saleing every thing i owned from the boats to the r&r.Hope things get better for you.

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Tell me it aint so brother!:crazy:.1.Yeah the rivers are gettin a little crowded at times.I do a lot of scouting during the winter and always seem to be able to come up with a 1/2 dozen new spots to hit every year.2.Either my stuffs getting a lot heavier or I,m getting older!I aint put no new stuff in my box ,so you know the answer there!3.Take somebody new with you,the time goes a lot faster when you got somebody to BS with.4.I get into this myself sometimes.I get out of it by reminding myself why I started fishing in the first place.I also remind myself that any trip could be my last one,we never know what life has in store for us tommorow.My wifes into the bird watching,so I got her a spotting scope and tripod,I check that stuff out too,I,m finding that interesting too.Maybe you just need a little time off to get your passion back again.Hope it works out for you.I think we all gotta make that complete circle from where we start and any fish is good,to getting really specialized,to getting backk to our roots again.God Bless and Good Fishing!:wink:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You've just forgotten how to appreciate what it's all about.
    There is more to fishing then the distance between the tip of your nose and your rod tip.

5. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hope your kidding but if not, life is too short to spend your freetime doing something you don't like.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No I am not kidding, I have been catfishing for over 30 years....But the last time I saw 75 people sharing 200 yds of river space it got kinda depressing.

When I do go fishing now, I have to force myself to do it..And at times I get physically ill even thinking about it..

I think selling all my tackle and taking a few years off, is in order.

I persoanlly know of many other flathead anglers in Ohio who have went thru this in the past few years and have quit fishing totally.

I think alot of it is age, I am 50 years old now...I also have a 2 year old son, and every minute I spend fishing, is a minute I dont get to spend with him, as they grow up so quick.

I hope I can get the desire back by the time he is old enough to fish.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I would say if you feel that way then give it up man. To me there is nothing I would rather be doing than fishing. I like the chance to learn and get better with each outing. But if your not enjoying it, might as well hang it up, or take a break.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Very good advise,

9. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    1- That one I have to agree with you on. remember the poll I did last year on that?
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89845&highlight=sport
    2- There is prep to anything you do. The carrying thing I took care of by stealing my son's wagon that he out grew. For the bugs I got one of those butane bug repellent things, works awesome. And ya part of it is age, part of it could be your back problem, I find that limits me on how far I can and will walk to a spot.
    3- I started taking people with me that were serious about learning how to catch big fish. I have watched people breaking their best almost every trip out this year and it's just as if not more fun seeing them get the fish.
    4- Gotta agree mostly with that. Now I see it as catching bait or catching flatheads and channels. Can't really remember the last time I went bass fishing for anything but to get bait. I don't do the walleye run here anymore cause it doesn't have the thrill of a big cat. How do you compare a 10 lb walleye to a 40+ lb flathead?
    If taking time off from fishing is what you need to do, then go for it. I did it when recovering from my back injury and when I was healed enough I hit it harder than ever before and the size of the fish didn't matter so much. Seemed like when I took that attitude the fish seemed to get bigger too.

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Trust me bro, your son will add great new dimensions of enjoyment to fishing- so DON'T hock your stuff.
    AND, we all need need help to fight the fight of good vs bad catfish conservation and voices to help change some laws (wether some realize it or not)... at least in Indiana and Ohio. you get tired of those bank crowds, we'll hop in my boat and hit the open river.... there are things I'd like to learn from you.

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    The thrill may be gone for now, and maybe ya wanna be with your son now, hopefully you will be able to teach him fishing and he will enjoy it and like to go with ya. He might be able to put all your knowledge and experience to use. Sometimes I get to feeling that way, and ask myself why I do what I do and is it worth all the time and expense. Then I have a beautiful day and I'm out there, its good whether I catch fish or not. Fishing don't have to be the reason to live but it will always be there as something to do.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Joe said something that made alot of since to me.

I had back surgery last July, I still have a couple herniated disk in my back also.

I pretty much live in pain, I had to get off the pain killers "narcotics" way to addicting...But I was taking pain meds after my surgery and really enjoyed fishing last fall.

I am not able to hike into spots like I use to, now I am forced pretty much to fish the public places, and to share those spots with tons of other people.

Maybe I need to get back on the painkillers...LOL

13. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    The wagon really helps. It increases how far you can walk before the pain kicks in. I think you mean take as you need it, not get back on them. Also don't be too proud to tell the younger guys with you about your back. I try to not use it as an excuse to not carry my share but the guys all understand and they all step up to help me get stuff to the river. Thanks guys.

14. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Sounds like you are taking it a little to serious, I have the same problem sometimes.
    You have to take time to stop and smell the squirres some times!

15. mudcat dale

mudcat dale New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like it may be time to buy your son a Snoopy pole and get back to the basics. Some perch jerking with your son is medicine for the soul. Believe me, I went thru bad depression and nothing has made me feel better than fishing with my boy. I hope you cand find the enjoyment again.

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I go through the same thing Jack. I think my problem is the back pain & depression getting me, it can grab you and make life miserable.:sad2:
    Just kick back & relax and take a break for a while. Besides, you can't give up yet since we haven't fished together yet.:wink: Head down this way and we'll hit the Big 'O' in some spots where there isn't people. You could go out on the boat with us sometime, were never close to people in it...:smile2:

17. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Wish you lived closer. I have a pontoon rigged for catfishing and know some places people won't be and have good size fish.

18. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i went through this a few years back didnt fish for a long time and had no desire to fish didnt have time truckin over the road then i got a local job in 2000 and just last year i got back into fishing now i want to go all the time but work is still in the way but i do get out when i can bought a boat last year and its not been in the water yet this year take a break it will come back and you will wanna fish again i know i did good luck in the future

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Dang man, I hate you have gotten to that point. Bout the only advice I can give ya is to do what YOU want to do and if that's not fishing for a while than so be it but I hope you don't. You've been a wealth of information and helped a lot of people with your experience.

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack...., the bottom-line is... You Are Gonna Fish! You Are Gonna Catch Fish!! So.....LOL....ROLLO