Catfishing Baits - need a few suggestions

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by chris45601, Jul 10, 2006.

1. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well Guys And Girls,

I'm new to this forum. So first off I say hi and ncie to meet you all. Now My concern, For the past two weeks I've been fishing Paint Creek lake, Rocky Fork lake, And Abundance of other(I know there's fish there i've caught there the weeks before and sizible fish at that anywhere from 5 to 15lbs).Threw everything Including the kitchen sink at these fish and nothing(small yellow belly and a crawdad with a 3 inch hook on him)....Absolutly nothing. Im Sort of new to the catfishing thing but Grew up bass fishing So im not horribly stupid. Any suggestions?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

keep trying catfishing is warming up everywhere now after a few bad weeks. keep with whats natural in the water's you fish are visit one of the sponser's for stink and punch bait. Seems like most are having better luck with cut and live bream, shad and herring depending on where you fish. And last but not least WELCOME to the BOC the best site on the web, you will find a lot of people willing to help you and feel free to help out when you can.:big_smile: :lol: :big_smile: :lol: :big_smile: :lol:

3. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I like using the fattest nightcrawlers you can find or putting a couple live crappie minnows on the hook. If they die, I like to mutilate them. I know it sounds wrong, but that's how I get my best results out of dead minnows.

4. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    I have been having good luck lately with crawlers and anchovies! Welcome to the BOC!

5. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Take one of your fancy bass lures...catch you a nice size bass...then chop it up into several nice big pieces and use it for bait.

Just kidding....but do try a little cut bait and some chicken livers.

6. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well, I even through goldfish Large ones thinking larger bait larger fish nothing.....I'm really wanting a good size one. I am for sure going this weekend maybe even call of work and hit it up a couple times this week. Thank you for the warm welcome. Chicken liver and cut bait. I did catch that yellow belly and that Crawfish with the four inch hook on it. Used cut chad,dip baits, goldish,dough,nightcrawlers,chickenliver,leeches,suckers....you get the idea

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

your other options include changing spots and times that you fish. Sounds like you tried the right baits. You could try asking around at your local bait shops to see where people are catching fish and on what. You may even try med- large minnows.

8. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    See those goldfish i bought Where medium, And we got at paint at 530pm didn't leave till 6am. The ohio report said that rattle snake mud flats where on fire with channels and flats...Some one told me the water was just too warm....I know when bass fishing that lowwers the Oxygen content in the water causing the fish to become slow and sluggish...One more question how am i suppose to use those dip baits...I mean i know its a basic carolina rig but i mean the trebbile hooks and the little plastic grub looking thing with holes in it

9. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    cut bait or live bait...chicken liver...basic stuff

10. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well im confused...

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

One of sponsers sells what you need Looper Rigs. Dip bait is just that you dip the bait in and push it down with a stick, punch bait the same. Check out our sponser's most of which are on the right of the screen right now.

12. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Looper rig huh Strange never heard of it but i will check it Out...But is the warm water going to effect the cat fishing?

13. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    The only thing I have caught fish on the last two weeks is chicken gizzards. I tried shad, bream, dip baits.

14. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes warm/cold water effects all fish in some way. For catfish warm water creates the thermacline. Once this is formed most of your fish will be caught just above it. If your lake is deep or doesnt have alot of boat traffic then a thermacline developes faster. My local lake is 55 foot deep at the deepest area, with a sizable portion in the 25-35 foot range. The thermacline usually developes around this month and is about 15 foot deep in our lake.

15. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Don't feel lonely, my friend. I have only caught one small channel cat this year.

16. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well paint is only about 35ft deep in the deepest spot Realtivly shallow lake a lot of boat traffic and water is being taken out or put in depend on the weather and etc. Paint creek lake is a drainage point for a lot of lakes and Creeks and etc.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Chris, Welcome to the boc you will get alot of good info here. The cut bait should work for you. If you like the stink baits the luper rigs work really well. You can also try the Danny King punch bait I have been using the luper rigs with it but you can use a #4 or # 5 trebble with it and it works fine. rig up with your basic carolina rig and you should start catching some fish.

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC,sounds like you're getting some good info.

19. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC

20. only1dman67

only1dman67 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I find that using shrimp and chicken liver works best for me.