Catfishing Baits and Times

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by Jim Johndon, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Jim Johndon

Jim Johndon New Member

State:
    VA
    Hi all,

I have bought Catifish Charlie Type A, and i am told it doenst work. Does anyone know the best catifsh bait and how to use it? also, what are good times to go down to the potomac to fish? Thanks..

PS also, i hear noon is a good time b/c the cat's come in to get the fish closer to shore. I live near Roosevelt Island, and usually fish in that, near the parking lot.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have never used that stinkbait before. As for what baits to use, I think natural baits would be your best bet. If there are shad, herring, skipjack are carp in the waters you fish I would start with those. Times, to me, are not as important as you may think. While I have caught big catfish at night all of my biggest fish have been caught during the day. I like to fish early in the morning through late afternnon early evening. Good luck in your adventures and don't believe the hype about the Charlie's stinkbait, There are several post mentioning good and bad about it, so until you try it for yourself, you never really know.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Jim I dont catch much along the island there not alot of water around the parking lot. I would try the upper end of the island there is a deeper hole there and some big rocks in the water as well. As for the bait just try your bait and see what it does for you. I would say you will mostly catch eater size fish with the bait but every now and then a bigger fish can be taken. If after you have used it and your not happy with the bait I can hook you up with some Danny King Bait I know it work in the potomac I have used it on my guide service for two years there and have put 1000's of cats in the boat with it.
    As for the time day or night you can catch fish you wil need to watch the tide. For me 2 hours before high tide and thefirst 2 or 3 hours of out going tide have put bigger fish in the boat. If your looking for bigger blues you may try walking out on the island on the upper side out in the main river there are some big rocks.ou can set on them and fish the main river channel is about 25 feet deep there use fresh bait whole or cut. If you fish worms or shad darts around the banks there you can catch perch and shad to use for bait. Just remember big bait gets bait fish so the smaller you cut your bait will have to do with the size.

4. Jim Johndon

Jim Johndon New Member

State:
    VA
    Jim,

Do you mean upper end of roosevelt island? I am told that you snag lots up there, and lose lots of bait... I'm not sure, whatever is best. Also, how is the shore fishing at gravely point? I havent seen too many people there, but lots of boats.

5. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Jim,

I wouldnt waste my time with Catfish Charlies unless you want to catch dinks all day. Use live bait or fresh cut bait for the bigger fish.

6. ayokay005

ayokay005 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I dont believe in times! I think its about the tide and also the weather and structure !

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I've never had much luck with the Catfish Charlies... doesn't mean you won't because i haven't had much luck on Danny Kings Punch either (Tim, i don't doubt that i works i just need a little proof on it :wink: )

As for times... if you have it then go... Yeah there's talk about when and where... and all that... well my philosophy is time on the water is not wasted, even if the whole time your just re rigging because you keep snagging, your out on the water and learning spots, esp where not to cast to get snagged up...

For places to go... during daylight, try Fletchers boat house... There's a few really good spots with in walking distance of the boat house and there are some fish around... also you can catch sunnies to pass the time on... then use them as bait ( i think DC allows that)... Theres a place up by the Battle field (Antietam) where the creek dumps in to the potomac that i saw once when we did a "training" excercise up there for camps and i have directions but still haven't gotten up to fish there yet... Looks like a prime spot to me but have no clue on it yet...