Catfishing at Salt plains lake or the salt fork river

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by J4ck, Apr 12, 2009.

1. J4ck

J4ck New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    has anyone heard how the fish are coming along at salt plains lake or the salt fork river coming out of the lake. i know they had a big die off a few years ago due to low water levels and was just wondering if they are making a come back so i can decide where im going on vacation at this year. thank any info would be appreciated.

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The SPL experienced another die off below the dam this past August. The lake is flowing over again and I assume the cats have repopulated the holding area below the dam. The lake was restocked after the last lake die off and there are just small cats in the lake now about 1 to 2 pounds. My catfishing buddy lives and manages the lake for ODWC and he has been told if the lake dies again then let it go.He is not to restock. The lake is currently about 2 feet deep and I expect that in about 3 years or less it will be nothing but a marsh. It is filling with sand at an extremely rapid rate. It was a well kept secret catfish lake for years but its time has come to an end.:sad2:

3. J4ck

J4ck New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thats a bummer i grew up in enid and fished that lake all my life till i moved to werstern ok. my kids and i always enjoyed going there and spending a couple weeks out of the year. i have caught several nice flathead cats and channel cats out of the spill way but i guess with what you said it may not happen again. thanks for the info.

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The spillway generally is loaded with flatties. You may be able to load up on a bunch of eaters in the lake still. I am going turkey hunting up there in a week or so and may try a trotline to checkout the channels and see what size they are.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats sad. :sad2:
    We camped there some when I was growin up. We ususally fished below the dam. Thats a pretty neat lookin dam.
    I have never seen so many mice before though. Looked like the ground was movin.:crazy::smile2:

6. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info, Catman. I hate to hear the lake is filling up with silt. It was a really good catfishing lake a few years ago.