Catfishing at Pickwick with Phil King [Guide]

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by BATTLE CAT, Apr 6, 2018.

1. BATTLE CAT

BATTLE CAT Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    TWADE
    Morning,

I am planning a Guided Cat Run for me and my Son In Law with Phil King, down on Pickwick. This will be my 1st such trip. I wondered if anyone had any knowledge of Capt King, I read his credentials and they are impressive, He asked if we wanted Trophies or Eatters. I think this trip will be for Eatters, fill up the Freezer and have some fun in the process. Never been on a big River..Fish mostly Lakes. but am super excited. He supplies all the Gear and cleans the fish as well. Any insight is appreciated

Thank You in Advance....TIGHTLINES

BATTLECAT

Mac-b likes this.
  2. wadekaminski

wadekaminski Well-Known Member

State:
    MO - Missouri
    Name:
    Wade
    I've met Mr King a few times. He seems very nice and quite knowledgeable. You should have a great trip.

Last year after the Mississippi River Monsters tournament we talked about bumping rods and the aches and pains after a full day of fishing, lol.

SteveMcK and Mac-b like this.

3. TennHaynes

TennHaynes New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My Son and I went fishing with Phil several years ago and had a blast. In fact Phil took the profile picture I have. I remember the same question "Trophies or eaters". Make sure you watch how fast Phil can clean a fish. It's amazing. I'm talking seconds. I'm sure he will put y'all on some fish.

SteveMcK and Mac-b like this.
  4. BATTLE CAT

BATTLE CAT Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    TWADE
    Thank you Gentlemen, I am stoked and glad I got the positive feedback . I saw where he has some kind of Catfish Cleaning Record of like 11seconds. Trying to get out there on about 5.5.18. I will keep you all posted on our Good Fortune. I would love to take a picture like the one you have TennHaynes, those are some beauties.

Thank You Again

Mac-b and TennHaynes like this.
  5. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Well-Known Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Name:
    Brad
    Man, if I was going to fish on that body of water with Phil King, the master of giants I would go for the photo. You won't remember the meal near as long as the photo of a fish of a lifetime taken by a master guide. Just my opinion

6. BATTLE CAT

BATTLE CAT Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    TWADE
    CaptainBrad, I TOTALLY agree with you, but I can assure you this will not be my last excursion to Pickwick and Capt. Phil King, I only live about 2 hours away I read on his site where the BIGGUNS will be available a little later this year and I have already been WIFE approved. So I will get that photo you mentioned before the season ends. Appreciate the insight.

CaptainBrad likes this.
  7. Mac-b

Mac-b Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    I co-authored a book called the "The Catfish Hunters" and we traveled the SE part of the good old US of A hiring catfish guides from all the lakes we fished, and we left the SE for a solo trip on the Red River of the North and we hired Capt. Brad for two days and we found him willing to share his knowledge and he put us on fish every day. A little over twenty Channels per day and a trophy or two each day and those two days beat the heck out of the lakes we fished in the South East. In addition, by fishing in tournaments on Cabella's tour and others, I got to meet some dang good fishermen, but the best of the best I found for catching large Channel Catfish was none other than Capt. Brad. I have met and known of Phil King for almost twenty years and he is good, no doubt about it, and I sure he will put you on some fish. In summary, I agree with Brad about Phil, but I also endorse a trip to ND to fish with Brad.

For those that have never caught catfish in swift water, this is a total treat.

CaptainBrad and BATTLE CAT like this.
  8. BATTLE CAT

BATTLE CAT Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    TWADE
    I would love to partake , but that is a good 19 hour Drive. I could fly but that would add significantly to my expenses. If i could keep it closer to home i would love to hear of others that maybe Guide, UNFORTUNATELY, I have not heard back from Phil King. I mean i did get an initial response but nothing since, not sure if i contacted him prematurely since i am looking at 5.5.18 but i did want to reserve the date early as i know it maybe busy for him. If there are any Catfish guides in Mississippi, Arkansas or Tenn I am willing to take a 3 hour drive and am located in Memphis, Please send me the recommendation, I will be patient and wait on Phil King

9. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Well-Known Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Name:
    Brad

Call him back. Sometimes things just get lost in the shuffle.

10. wadekaminski

wadekaminski Well-Known Member

State:
    MO - Missouri
    Name:
    Wade
    Captain Jason Bridges guides on Wheeler lake (2 dams up from Pickwick) would be worth getting a hold of. He's another guy with a wealth of knowledge.

11. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Name:
    Ed
    I would not be concerned about booking to far in advance. Lots of guys will have their prime time dates filled 6 months ahead of time or more. I would get your name on the books as soon as you can. No matter who you go with.

If i was hiring a guide a would go for trophies and pictures over filling the freezer. You will likely catch a few smaller fish anyways to keep.

12. BATTLE CAT

BATTLE CAT Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    TWADE
    Thank you BajaCoop I did change my request in my latest email to Phil, it only makes since that eaters will be around too. Thank you for the insight as it relates to Guides.

Wadekaminski, thnx for the referral, I will see if i can find his particulars online

wadekaminski likes this.
  13. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Name:
    Ed
    You can find jason on Facebook.

14. BATTLE CAT

BATTLE CAT Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    TWADE
    Well Gents ..needless to say , i unfortunately did NOT get on the water with Mr. King. I did speak with him at length. Unfortunately soon after these post My Wife was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. So we spent considerable time battling that instead of "Battling Cat". It has been an ordeal this year but after 2 Stem Cell Transplants she is in Remission and regaining her strength. She has once again given her blessing for an excursion so I will once again try and plan at least one for next year...TIGHT LINES TO ALL .

Propshredder, SHOWME, ramon06 and 2 others like this.
  15. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Ramon
    Thank GOD your wife is healing as that is the most important thing. Now you can get on those bigguns next year.

Catpaw likes this.
  16. BATTLE CAT

BATTLE CAT Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    TWADE
    RAMON06, I totally appreciate your insight. Indeed we have our Priorities..She is doing much much better after all the Chemo. And as mentioned has given me her blessing to FISH ..I love that woman..Thank you and I will update you all on the progress as well as the BIGGUNS!! GOD BLESS!!!

Catpaw and ramon06 like this.