Catfishing at Choke Canyon - Information and Chat

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bigun, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    We have been fishing Choke Canyon the last few days. The fish don' seem to be biting. We caught eight fish each day with the largest being about 7 to 8 lbs. We caught more than we could eat each day so I guess I shouldn't complain. We heard some stories of folks catching a lot of 12-15lb fish in shallow water up above the 99 bridge. The Callaham State Park is Closed for Deer hunting Jan 1 to Jan 6. The water system is broken and not operational. The gates are going to be Locked 5pm Monday. South shore ramp and cleaning tables are open but the RV park is closed. The weather has been beautiful temp 75-80 wind = 0

2. jesse

jesse New Member

State:
    texas
    i fished choke canyon for cats came home with bass

3. oldman

oldman New Member

I'll Be Going To Choke.weekend After Next. Im Going To The Ramp Above 99 Bridge. Lots Of Good Catfishin There. Been Fishing The Frio For About 65 Years. Plenty Of Good Catfish. Got 30 Lbs Of Tuna Fillets. Sure Good For Blues And Channels. Live Bait For Flats. Rio Grande Perch And Regular Perch Or Bullheads. Take Care. Havent Been On Here For A While Lost My Wife Of 54 Years New Years Day. Oldman

4. turkey buzzard

turkey buzzard New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg,Texas
    Sorry to here about your wife, I know it's tough when you loose your fishing partner.
    We have been fishing with jugs around and in hog island and have been catching blues to 35 pounds on perch using stick jugs. Fished Possum creek in the trees close to the bank 15 feet of water. Caught fish to five ponds and limited out using stink bait bought at Calliham store.
    Carl

5. okeycatfish

okeycatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am planning to fish above the HWY 99 bridge 2nd week in march.

Thanks for the valid information.

I normally fish LBJ & Buchanan near my house.

Good fishing,

Greg

6. hobocatfisher

hobocatfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Oldman I'm sorry about the loss of your beloved of 54 years. My heart really goes out to you because if I loss my wife I don't know what I'd do with myself. Friends will help you get over your grief.

7. okeycatfish

okeycatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree good friends and the good lord will get you through it.
    It still hurts.

Hang in there,

Greg

8. turkey buzzard

turkey buzzard New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg,Texas
    Will be fishing with jugs at Choke Canyon from the 15th to the 18th of March (Spring Break). Will be fishing the stick flats off of Calliham point, Hog Island, and up Possum Creek. Hope to see some of you there.

9. bluesbro

bluesbro New Member

State:
    tex
    Love Choke Canyon, favorite times to go are Spring Break and Thanksgiving. Fish bite there almost all the time as long as the wind blows. Have never fished above 99 bridge but I have heard that it's incredible. The area in front of the prison has always given me more action that I could handle during the cooler months.