Catfishing around Scott AFB, IL-need information on good spots

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by bwolcott, Feb 9, 2006.

1. bwolcott

bwolcott New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i've been looking around the immediate area for fishing spots and still have had very little luck. i also have been looking for a pay fishing spot for my kids. i want to get them more involved in fishing, my son loves it but my daughter hates being out there waiting for bites. Anybody in the area have any ideas?

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Bwolcott. I posted in the coffeen thread about where that lake is at.

Locally down your way you might want to check out carlyle lake, baldwin lake. It is a power cooling lake and has blues,channels and flats in it. Those are the big ones. I am sure there are more but I am not familiar with that area very much.

3. bwolcott

bwolcott New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i went to Baldwin a couple times last year and thats where i caught my fiddler catfish. it was exciting too. nostop fishing they jumped on my line like i was rescuing them. they also have large fish there too. i've seen large cats come to shore to eat and make big splashes along the banks right around me as i fish. so carlyle is a good spot? whats a good bait for out at carlyle , you know?

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    What makes carlyle so good is all the camp grounds. Which makes shore fishing very easy. Also the banks of the lake are covered with large rock to keep the banks from eroding. This gives the fish all kinds of places to hide and spawn. Most of the cats caught a carlyle are caught on stink bait. Take your pick they all work. Pick up several different kind see which you like best.

There is fishing below the dam also. It depends on the amount of water being released .. During the spring the crappie and white bass tend to really bite good. As rthe water warms the catfishing can be good also. the flatheads can be good there also. Most of the channels are caught on stick bait or cut bait. The flatheads are caught on live gills or freash caught shad. If you go fishing below the dam I dont recomend taking the kids after dark. Otherwise it is fine. There is always a IDNR officer around below the dam so it isnt all bad.

Any other ? just ask.

5. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Charles,
    Welcome to the BOC!!!

There is a small pond in the city park in the town of TROY, Ill. Lots of little fish for kids to catch. Clean area, playgrounds, and restrooms. I don't know about the ages of the kids, but it sure was fun for then 15 year old Buba!!!

We got stuck in this little town for 5 days and fished the dickens out of this pond.

6. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    charles the lake in troy is where my oldest son landed the hog in my
    profile pic (clic on my avatar to see)

right near scott is mascoutah illinois maybe 3-4 miles away from north of scott. here is a lake that has pretty decent fishing .
    i have pulled in a few 4-5 lb channels out of it but have seen some as big as the kids hog in there too. they have nice bass and crappie in there as well.washington county is about a half hour away from you and it has nice catfishin and bass too.
    if you go up hiway 50 from scott to go to carlyle just turn north or right instead of south or left and you will be heading to washington county lake about 8 miles down the road on the left cant miss the brown park/rec sign. baldwin is a good cat striper lake but its a choppy windy lake for a small boat . dont know where you fished when you went there but when you are at the launch ramp over to the left is where you want to walk
    around past the outhouse down that wall and you will have better luck with maybe landing some big flatties.the farther down the wall you go the warmer the water this time of year.
    the stripers and flatties are feeding on the shad closer to the warm water discharge. hope this helps
    by the way WELCOME TO THE BOC

7. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    by the way also TROY lake was drained down last summer and they
    put those nice ornamental stones all around the perimeter of the lake 3-4 feet high and then it filled back up
    i dont know if they restocked it or not but it was down really low
    i havent had as good of luck since they did this there .
    i hope that changes i like that park
    they have a petting zoo there and tennis courts walking trail hockey rink
    ball fields a lot for a little town i wish swansea had all that.:crying:

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Charles, target Crappie or Bluegill for your daughter...thats always seems to get them started..:)

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    a couple more places near you is foley park
    i think its a couple bucks for adults kids may be free dont quote that
    its like 3 lakes that you can walk around and theres supposed to be good fishing in there i myself have not fished it in a long time , due to other
    interests like the kaskaskia river and some private farm ponds i have been allowed to hit. also the strip pits in new athens there is a youth lake that you can take your kids to there that isnt as steep and dangerous as some of the other pit lakes .at this time that particular lake is off limits due to fowl hunting i guess but it will open up here in a few weeks .
    i caught my bass in the profile pic at that lake in may nice warm may day
    actually it was 3 days before my license expired.

10. bwolcott

bwolcott New Member

State:
    Illinois
    this was some great info, feel free to add more to it. Wow!!! Troy lake really got some big fish like that? well now i'll be hitting that lake this year. now Foley park how do you get there from Scott AFB? i want to take my family on the first big trip of the year to a really good place so i can get my daughter back interested in it. i know my son loves fishing already. Foley park sounds good for the family and so does Troy. my wife goes with me from time to time and if she does i gotta take her to places with bathrooms and places to sit. cause i got a little one thats 1 yrs old. anybody know wich one is better for the entire family?

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    troy has the most comforts like restrooms and shaded covered picnic benches. like i said it also has a newer play area with slides tubes etc for the little one also a petting zoo.

i will print you a map if you send me your email i will send it to you.

by the way only my son has gotten those big cats out of troy.
    i havent LOL i was right there with him and his uncle too and
    we got littler ones maybe 2-3 lbs this kid pulls out an 8 , 9 , and 18
    with in 14 hours 1 evening and the next morning.
    we think he may have had someone air lift some fattys in there just for him to show us up:rolleyes: