Catfishing around Power Plants - Warm water discharges

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by beaneye46, Jan 10, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i live in vigo county, and there is a power plant that borders the wabash not far from where i live.
    they let out warm water constantly and i hear the temp stays around 70 degrees in the winter.
    has anyone had any experience fishing near powerplants?

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    yes, we have a hotwater outlet here in Arkansas which I fish often. Stripers stack-up in there and also alot of cats are caught. My favorite is the skip jack we catch them for bait to use in the spring and summer.

3. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    There is a power plant that fish that is next to the wabash,its the cynergy power plant,also known as PSI or the gibson power plant. they have a hot water outlet and you can flat out stock up on channels all year long there,its not uncommon to pull 100-200 channels out of this place at any givin time,but they are all small channels,some barley big enough to clean,but there are some big cats in th elake,the biggest i have ever caugth for channel was lil over 10lbs and the biggets flathead i ever pulle dou tof thier was 26#,rite now i beleive the road to the outlet is shut off due to construction but anyway..the way i fish it is i use hole dead shad and cast as close i can to wher ethe water is coming out,it usaully only takes a second or 2 to hook into a cat....its fun to fish when cats arnt biting anywhere else but it get sold messing with the lil fellers.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    MadKatter, do you have blues in your area? If so, they should be in there with the channels. You'll probably have to use a different bait for them though. I generally use shad, skipjack, or cured chicken livers at the nuclear plant here in Arkansas; when I tried using cut bream one day, all I caught were small channels, till I switched back to my regular bait.

5. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Yeah we have blues in this area,but the power plant is on a big lake that is next to a river,supposadly thier are no blues in this lake only channels and the occasional flathead. ive used every thing in that lake from liver-skip jack,thier are just to many lil channels. now thay say thier are no blues in this lake but last year i caught a 50# blue out of a lake that claims to have no blues......but the power plant lake is a really good place to take a kid cause you are 100% gauranteed to catch a fish.

6. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    mad katter, are you talking about merom right near shelburn and sullivan?

7. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    i dont think so....its just on the other side of princeton IN...depending on which way your coming from

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've seen people fishing at the nuclear plant here in Arkansas, fishing wrong, using the wrong bait, in the wrong place, catching lots of fiddlers, complaining that there aren't any decent fish around. It's one of my favorite places to go in the early spring to replenish my freezer with fillets from 2#-8# cats.