Catfishing around Manhattan

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by kingkat82, Aug 20, 2009.

1. kingkat82

kingkat82 New Member

State:
    Central KS
    Heyy fellow Kansians. I live in Salina and have been fishing since I could walk or so. I found this site after googling for info on fishing, specifically cat fishing :wink: around the Manhattan area. Got lost in forum posts and big cat pictures:big_smile:. Well I hit my "forum view" cap pretty quick and immediately signed up. It's great to see there's so many KS catfishers on here!

Anyway a friend of mine is going to school at KSU and I was wanting to take 'em out catfishing (hopefully some hoss Flatheads welcome us!) this weekend, maybe somewhere on the Blue or Kansas rivers because I've personally never been on one bigger than say the Smokey Hill, lol, and I thought it would be a great experience. I really don't know a darn thing about the area, especially the rivers. Except the obvious like the outlet area/Rocky Ford at Tuttle. I've Outlet fished extensively, but my friend hasn't and I'm not sure how much he would dig it, especially the inevitable snag issues. We would either be bank fishing somewhere, or taking out my inflatable:eek:oooh: Intex Sea Hawk II (w/ trolling motor) and doing some drifting/trolling with rod & reel, or if that doesn't work out some sort of spot and dock bank fishing. I have a Aerobait 5gal., a cast net, a bucket and a portable Frabill aerator if need be(backup!), so we'll mostly be using a mix of live bait (gills/shad/chubs/gold fish if we must) and cutbait. I'm not entirely sure where to get some baitfish around Manhattan, probably the State Lake to the north? Or would there be bait opportunities at Tuttle Creek. I was just wondering if anyone had some tips, locals, or any type of info that would lead me in the right direction. Also if the inflatabale on the Kansas or Blue River is a sh!thouse waiting to go up in flames, please let me know, lol :smile2:. Seems like it would be less dangerous than the Saline or Smoky Hill rivers. So many tree snags and jams all over...not to mention the rusted out dumped crap, scrap metal heaps, hoods, refridgerators, car doors, barb wire (ahhh!) etc. Thanks for any help and I apologize if I left out any needed details
    -J

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Welcome to the BOC Jakey.

Wish I could help ya out, but I don't do much flathead fishing to speak of anymore and never did any in that area. Of all the fishermen, I think flathead fishermen keep the most secrets :wink:.

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello Jakey and welcome to the BOC!!!

4. bassmanatcs

bassmanatcs New Member

State:
    Junction City, Kansas
    Welcome Jakey, from another newbie who promptly joined when I reached my viewing limit! I wish I could help answer your question, but I am new to this area and also new to catfishing. Good luck!

5. kingkat82

kingkat82 New Member

State:
    Central KS
    What's better than one newb? 2 newbs@@! :big_smile: Hopefully post an update when I get back reporting about the monsters we slayed and how:roll_eyes:
    -J

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Missouri Jakey.

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    there is a bait shop on tuttle creek blvd right before ya make the turn to go to the spillway. make the right and make the immediate right to go to the house. beside the house is Derrick's Bait. has a good selection of live bait. smaller live bait can also be gotten at Dara's gas station on around the curve on tuttle creek blvd. they have a connected shop that is a lodge/ bait shop. mainly minnows and little goldfish.

where 24 crosses the blue is a parkin area on Hofman Ln. (south side of the highway). you can walk back up river and fish along it. there is a little creek outlet about 450 - 500 yds up river on the west side (same side ya park on). down river for 1000 + yds is the end of the river where it dumps in the Kaw.

8. russ4429

russ4429 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Take your cast net to Rocky Ford. Shad are usually abundant there. You can also catch your own bait in a small pond nearby (bluegills).

9. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    first off welcome to the BOC. be careful throwin a net at rocky ford, as far as fishin spots in manhattan you should talk to michael (katatonic) he knows the area like the back of his hand

10. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    You can get all the shad you and everyone you know want, at Big Dawg Marina right on the ramp:wink:

11. kingkat82

kingkat82 New Member

State:
    Central KS
    Thanks a lot guys great tips! I think i'm going to grab a few bait from that Derrick's Bait before going, seems like a solid contingency plan if Rocky Ford is a net shredder. Good luck fishin' this weekend.

12. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    The inflatable SHOULD be fine to go on the Big Blue down to the KS now, but I would not plan on going upstream with a trolling motor on the KS river. It is low now anyway and hard to get around on. There are some good snags on the Blue between the ramp and the KS, but they get fished alot I think. You could go down from the ramp on the Blue and take out at Wamego on the KS river too, but you should plan to do it in the daylight or camp at night instead of being out on the water after dark and you would want more motor and paddles/oars for backup. Also plan on dragging the boat some places if you try that. I don't know many bank spots up there that are easy to access, there is some good water but you need to have a boat and motor able to get to it, and you will still drag the boat quite a bit at this water level. I run a mud motor and if the river is under 4.8ft at Wamego and I know it is time to start getting serious about taking weight out of the boat to run the river. You may be better off at the tubes or Rocky Ford, they are proven spots for big flats and way easier to fish. Good luck on your trip. Mighty Thor's idea about Derricks is right on, he could probably tell you more than most about where to go, and his store is better than Cabelas for a catfisherman.

13. kingkat82

kingkat82 New Member

State:
    Central KS
    Thanks a million Heath that's exactly what I needed to read to wisen up on the situation :big_smile:. The KS being low coupled with the fact I've never floated it or a river that size is more than enough to can that idea. Man I thought for sure she'd be "up" a bit still from all the rain we've had the past month or so! Will be a good time regardless where we end up fishing, been dying to try out my new catfish rigs and lines(Abu 5500cs / Abu 6600bcx / King Kat 8ft/9ft MH, Spiderwire Stealth 50# / Spectra 65#) and shoot the sh!# with my friend. Thanks again everyone, have a good weekend, tomorrow looks amazing for fishin! GL :tounge_out:

14. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    the Kaw is low cuz tuttle is hoggin it all :angry::wink::smile2:

15. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    there letting out a thousand now

16. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Who is this Nate guy that posted...:confused2:
    I use to know someone by that name and then he dropped off the end of the earth..:tounge_out:

17. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    That's what I was thinking. He must be fishing 24/7 and not had time to drop in and say hi.

How big are them shad Bryan?

18. drewscot

drewscot New Member

State:
    Manhattan, KS
    if you are looking for some good baitfish go to the river pond and there is a dock that is handicap accesible which is close to the swim beach. There are good size blue gill there right underneath the dock. I just use a small panfish hook with a tiny piece of worm and jig it right by the dock. I can ussually catch my fill of baitfish in 20 min.

19. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Mostly 4" but some to 8"

20. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    hello all on the boc ive been in a funk from the move and i have been fishing the tubes the guide service is going no where and my truck broke down so i have been busy :big_smile: